Notebook for student

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Tomiqo, Jan 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomiqo

Tomiqo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello i am looking for new notebook under 900 bud get. I am a computer science student so some good performance is needed. Also im looking for well built aluminium chases laptot not ordinary plastic thick bezel one. Actually i have not a very good personal experiences with actual models so i created this thread. I found dell inspiron 15 7580, with i5 which looks quite well, but it is quite new model and no user reviews are posted. Thx for help.
    1) What is your budget?
    My bud get is under 900€

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Slovakia

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: DELL, Lenovo
    b. Dislike: HP
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Basic internet surfing, programming IDE's, sometimes games

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes i am travelling a lot.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes i Will. Mostly FIFA. I must say i am not such a gamer and im not buying ntb for playing games but it is a benefit IF some newer games were at playable fps.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    About three hours would be fine.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p would be fine

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Does not matter.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes I am looking for good built aluminium notebook.
    Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Total 1tb, maybe one HDD and ssd mixed up

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    This month.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    AS long as it Will be usable. But i think 3-4 years are ok.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Not a longer than a week.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I think no, one week outage would be fine.

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

In theory, most laptops on the market should work well for your needs, but some of them are maybe heavier than what you would expect. The Dell 7580 is ok, but in my opinion is a bit expensive for what it offers.
    I searched here for laptops with average specifications + some sort of a basic dedicated video card for minimum gaming.
    This is what I got: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

Generally, the best budget laptops are made by Acer. And I would avoid the Asus Vivobook laptops due to their poor quality control and often reported issues.
    I would say the Acer Swift 3 is a good match for you if you want something lighter.
    The best of the bunch is the Acer Aspire Nitro 5, but it might be too heavy for you.

Lenovo Ideapad laptops are also pretty decent, and you get better warranty and customer support vs Asus or Acer.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you like Dell and want an aluminum well-built laptop you may also want to look at the XPS 9570 in the outlet. I don't know how much they are in Slovakia but it's worth looking at. The biggest concern I have is the GPU has its throttling set point too low (74C) but would likely be fine for casual gaming, and miles ahead of the MX150 in the 7580. It does feel better built than my Thinkpad X1 Extreme.

4. NB_Neenja

NB_Neenja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dell XPS - Premium multimedia laptop made of aluminum

Asus UX series Ultrabook - aluminum

These are the most common. Aluminum notebooks are quite costly however

JRE84 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.