Notebook for Photographer

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Teendoctor, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Teendoctor

Teendoctor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

My husband sent me here because I am interested in replacing my photography editing desktop computer with a laptop. The computer I have in my home studio was built by my husband. The problem I have with it is 1) not portable, of course and 2) Photoshop (mostly) and Lightroom (sometimes) run sluggishly. It can take over 60 seconds to save a Photoshop file.

My husband says that it is a disk issue and not a processor issue. Me, I haven't a clue. I'm a photographer and all of this is Greek to me. I believe the current computer has an SSD drive as the c drive but some other larger and almost filled drive for the storage. I try to move files to my EHD, but I don't always remember. Having these multiple drives also becomes a time sink since I have to point PS to the F drive in order to save since it wants to save on the C drive. My husband has not been able to set things up so that programs run from the C drive but my documents and files go to the F drive. When he first installed the new C drive, the computer wouldn't even grant me access to the F drive. That was a mess.

Anyway, I digress. I think that because I edit in my home, I also travel and may edit at our vacation home, a laptop would be the way to go. My plan is to use a docking station in my home studio and in our vacation home but the screen when I travel. I don't have much more intelligent to add since I know little else about computers.

START COPY
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget? Under $3000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

Thin and light
    Mainstream
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: No preference
    b. Dislike: Mac
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Would like to avoid

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Photography editing using Photoshop and Lightroom. Perhaps using it for Skype meetings.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? No games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 4 hours

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online is okay.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

I haven't a clue. I use a Lenovo Thinkpad for work and that is fine. I want to be able to see the detail in my photos.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Glossy?

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes, a bit.

15) When are you buying this laptop? Next two months

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    1-2 TB. Husband recommends an SSD

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No

==========
    END COPY

Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry that I am a bit clueless.

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Photoshop is sort of a wide path, so I'd ask how much processing power are you likely to need? If you're just touching up photos, then a dual core should do, but if you're working large file and applying multiple filters, then you're going to want all the muscle you can get.

If you like ThinkPads, I might suggest the ThinkPad T470 with the WQHD LCD, which is a very good screen in terms of color accuracy and fidelity. There's the T470s, which is slim and light(sub three pounds), which will make it very portable. There's also the T470p that offers a quad core CPU that will give you more oomph if you need it, though is a bit heavier. Good luck and welcome to NBR.

Teendoctor likes this.
  3. jwolf7722

jwolf7722 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell XPS 15 with 4k display. Lenovo x1 Carbon w/ WQHD display, also second the T470s or t470p with WQHD display. For bigger machines maybe Lenovo P51 w/ 4k display. This will be a odd suggestion but Alienware's 13 inch laptop w/OLED screen looks amazing.

Teendoctor likes this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell XPS 15 with 4k touchscreen ALL THE WAY! OR if you can find one in your price range, the surface book since its just awesome for photo/video editing....

Teendoctor likes this.
  5. Teendoctor

Teendoctor Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, ZaZ. I'm making my list of which notebook to check out. Thank you. I feel as though folks are speaking a different language here. But I so appreciate the help.

I edit, sometimes heavily, photomerge and use actions. And at times the computer my husband built hangs, though, as I mentioned, he said it is a disk read/write issue. The worst hanging is with saving, though. Hopefully with a new notebook, this will not happen.

And I assume that all the suggested computers have an available dock so that I can use my IPS monitor?

Thanks again!

Liana

Thanks so much. I'm adding these to my list to review. How will I decide?

Until you mentioned it, I didn't realize that this Dell had a touchscreen. I have a Wacom tablet that I sometimes use for editing, but this would take it to another level. Thank you!

I'm sure I will be back with follow up questions!

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would look at the surface book if I were you. maybe the cost is a little more...but I think you would Love editing on it...

7. Teendoctor

Teendoctor Newbie

Reputations:
    The interesting thing about these suggestions is that it will be very different for me to edit using a touchscreen after being used to a mouse and monitor. I need to try it out to see what it is like.

8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    As always you have to take the good with the bad. While touch screens can be beneficial for some tasks like inking or note taking, I'm not sure if adds much if you're touching menu items with your finger as opposed to using the trackpoint or touch pad. The T470 only offers touch on the FHD LCD, so you lose out on the better WQHD screen if you opt for the touch screen.

The rub with touch screens is they produce glare due to the glass used for the touch surface. Typically, the more light there is, the worse it gets. Lenovo did offer a matte touch screen on the T460s, but I believe the T470 has went back to using the glare type screens on the touch T470. One other thing to consider is that touch screen notebooks weigh more, which lessens portability, and get worse battery life due to the digitizer using extra power.

Teendoctor likes this.
  9. penguinslider

penguinslider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What kind of photography do you do and what medium are your pictures going to be presented on? This is important because this will determine what kind of screen you will getting. As a photographer, the laptop screen or panel will the MOST important if not one of the most important things to consider. Things like color accuracy, contrast, brightness and viewing angles will be paramount.

Also, what kind of files do you deal with in terms of file size, file type and the volume?

Lastly, what kind of workflow are you seeing. Are you a wedding photographer that will have to sort through tens of thousands of pictures at the end of the day to create a wedding video for the reception in an hour? Or are you a blogger that maybe takes a hundred shots per trip at the most and can take her time to edit pictures? Or are you fashion photographer that will have to work with monster RAW files during a live shoot? Or perhaps something else?

Teendoctor likes this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Once you are used to it, using the book and pen is way better for editing photos than the keyboard and mouse. The XPS and Surface both accept pen input so either one can do the job. The 13" xps 2 in 1 would be an awesome choice too. Can't go wrong with either the XPS or the book.

Teendoctor likes this.