Notebook for 1080p gaming and University.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Corpse14, Sep 5, 2017.

1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They also removed the subwoofer on the 7577.

2. tesm1th

tesm1th Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    bet the audio quality will be a noticeable downgrade. bet they gonna do the same as what Acer did to the Swift 3 packing the small battery (i.e. waste the usable space)

3. Corpse14

Corpse14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

I still haven't bought a new laptop as I'm still figuring out some things.

How bad is the Alienware 15 really? It's the only laptop I can buy with an I5 (for some reasons, ALL of the companies are cramming I7s in the gaming laptops).

Like I said, it'll mostly be for gaming and a bit of university so I don't think an I7 is useful for me.

The AW15 with 1060 and I5 barebones now is like 1100 pounds only, I will just need to buy a SSD and an extra 8 gb ram and I'm good but I keep reading bad reviews here so I'm hesitating.

4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    The newer models are mostly fine. Occasionally you'll get a bad mount but it's been mostly fine on the thermal side ever since they switched the pads.

5. Corpse14

Reputations:
    Oh that's really good to know so thanks!!

So you agree that an i7 is not useful if it's mostly for gaming and university work?

I guess that an i5 doesn't generate as much heat as a i7 so no need to undervolt as well maybe?

Like I said, I was also planning to buy 8 extra GB of RAM and the SSD from Amazon as it's much cheaper than on the AW website.

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    On the contrary - i7s are recommended and i5s are now the bare minimum. A 4-core/4-thread CPU is now low-end and a 4-core/8-thread is only mid-range. If you have the option, buying an i7 is well worth it over an i5.

7. Toshi001

Toshi001 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm on the fence too.. Considering MSI the most at the moment.

From this post, it seems that Raider is a better option than the Light Weight Stealth (due to better cooling & speaker)..
    If Stealth & Raider has the same specs, would the performance be a lot different? (Maybe affected by the not-as-good cooling in Stealth)? Would it still be god though, the Stealth?

I'm also still looking around since I heard a few more optimized, better overall new laptops are coming at the end of year.
    You might want to hold out if you can. For that price, waiting a little longer wont hurt. End of year / early next year.

If you are buying soon, this seems good:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=10695140&SID=75d19c08c37111e7be243e70e4f2813c0INT&AID=10446076&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Slickdeals LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16834154674&cm_sp=

Bad things I heard is the slow SSD / HDD (can change) & bad trackpad (doesnt matter). Cooling seems ok, but so so speaker compared to Raider.
    If they dont sell this, you can use a forwarder. I did send from US to AU in the past; from newegg too.

8. Corpse14

Reputations:
    Hey, just noticed someone else replied. I don't like the MSI design at all, I thought about the raider as I think the stealth has some heat issues (like any thin laptops) but no.

Sorry if I'm bumping the thread again but I've been told that the Razer Blade Pro 1060 has been discounted by 270£ and combined with my student discount, the price is around 1760£ now.
    I asked about the AW 15 before but I think the Alienware 13 might be more useful to me and with discounts, it's around 1500£ now (no OLED).
    So I'm hesitating between those two laptops, Alienware 13 and Razer Blade Pro 1060.
    Keep in mind that I don't want any overheating issues (so avoiding the Razer Blade).

9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Do NOT buy directly from Razer if you are, for some reason, going with their device. Their customer support and warranties are horrible. It may as well come without a warranty. Buy either through the Microsoft Store or HIDevolution. Personally, I'd prefer the Alienware 13 or Aero 15 over the Razer Blade series.

10. Corpse14

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've been reading everywhere about how bad Razer CS sucks. I was leaning more towards the AW 13 as I've been using my AW 14 since November 2013 and it's almost good as new even today. The AW 15 is just too heavy for me.

Thanks!

don_svetlio likes this.