Notebook for 1080p gaming and University.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Corpse14, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Corpse14

Corpse14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I completely agree...

On paper, the MSI raider GE63VR appears to be the best compromise between portability and cooling (also the sound) but that tacky design is just so...

The Gigabyte Aero 15 looked very promising but cooling is not great from what I read.

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The battery inside that one may as well not exist (Raider). It doesn't matter how portable a machine is if it can barely last 2 hours away from an outlet.

3. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you're going to spend a lot of time unplugged then the Raider probably isn't a good choice.

If you're like me and always use their laptop near a plug then whatever. If you have to sit in class and use it for school then you should probably look elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'll be next to my Raider in a few weeks. I think you should consider it too. ;)
    I'm still failing to see any flaws on the GE63VR. Of course, the battery is a bit smaller for most lads' needs, but even the biggest batteries tend to have more than 10-15% wear in a few months. If my concern is performance and a powerful GPU, I'd instantly forget about battery life and live with what's restrained.

A friend of mine owns a Legion Y520 with a 45Wh battery, an i7 CPU and a GTX 1050 Ti. With a few workarounds we've done together, he's able to shave up to 4 - 4.5 hours which -to me- is good enough even for classes. I don't see why the MSI can't get near that in terms of battery run time.

5. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    The main reason is the BIOS profiles. They're optimized for high-performance but that results in higher-than-average power draw. Hence why Lenovo manage to get 4 hours out of a 3-cell 45Wh battery whereas the GS63 can't get 4 hours out of a 6-cell 50Wh battery.

SkidrowSKT likes this.
  6. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good point, thanks for mentioning it!

7. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think this review mentions something regarding MSI adjusting the power for the GPU. The reviewer said he hasn't noticed a performance loss.

Is this maybe what you're referring to in regards to adjusting the power draw?

https://trangcongnghe.com/danh-gia-...-nang-cap-toan-dien-gia-cao-nhung-hop-ly.html

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. LeFear

LeFear Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been looking into the cooking system and I found this pic, does this confirm that there are seperate heat sinks for cpu and gpu whereas the 7567 had two big interconnected heatsinks. Is it the same as the 7567 or not I can't tell maybe you guys and spot something.

Attached Files:

9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    No, that's the 7567 you are looking at I believe.

10. tesm1th

tesm1th Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think 7577 will have some usable empty space. I wished 7577 can fill up the empty space with bigger battery.