Notebook for 1080p gaming and University.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Corpse14, Sep 5, 2017.

1. pbhenry3

pbhenry3 Company Representative

Reputations:
    speaking of the blade 14 models, I've just in the past 2 weeks have had several 2016 and 2017 show up here that are completely dead. Razer keeps changing the design with each iteration now as well, 2016 board was a major redesign, 2017 is redesign as well. They are making things more difficult to repair recently it seems. Each time they change board layout, they are bugged with new failures, this is why the 2015 touchscreen edition board is in my opinion the best. It's because there were very few changes on the board from the 2014 up to it(and the changes made improved it). If they would just stick with the same layout for a few years and only make changes to address the failures they would be much better off. A board redesign does no good whatsoever if the new design has different failures.

So If I were to recommend any, the blade 14 2015 touchscreen version seems to be decent. The blade pros from 2012-2013 were pretty decent. 2014 and 2015 pros had some issues from what I saw. 2016 pro had some minor issues as well. It looks like the 2017 blade pro has some redesign done to it but I can't confirm how much so. Hoping they got that one solid along with the new full hd edition pro. For the most part the boards seem to be better design overall on the pros.
    As for stealth models, please stay far away

don_svetlio likes this.
  2. pbhenry3

pbhenry3 Company Representative

Reputations:
    As for Msi, on the motherboard side of things, I "personally" think they are the most durable you can buy. I've talked to many people who agree with me on their motherboards being excellent. Exterior chassis screen flex/hinges area is not a strong point, though you should have no issue in normal use. Also if you buy MSI, you will have the downside of having to deal with all of the bloatware that comes preinstalled.

don_svetlio likes this.
  3. Corpse14

Corpse14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your replies guys, between don_svetlio and pbhenry3, Razer is a definite no-no.

I was already leaning towards MSI but I'm convinced now. I really love the looks of the MSI Stealth Pro but I think that Raider would suit my needs better (runs cooler, good speakers). I will wait for more reviews for it though.

don_svetlio, I even checked the Alienware 15 after what you said but from the owner's lounge, people are still complaining about the heating issues so...

4. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the Raider is going yo suit you the best. Great thermals so far. Great display for gaming. Great keyboard and good build quality. Last but not least, you won't hear speakers on any other laptop that sounds like the Raiders speakers. Insane is all I got to say about that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. Corpse14

Corpse14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, what is your opinion on the Lenovo legion y720? I've read good things and it's the only laptop that I can buy with an I5...

I don't understand why most of the gaming laptops ship with an I7 when it's not required at all for gaming and is way harder to cool.

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Aside from the low-end screen, it's alright.

7. LeFear

LeFear Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As mentioned above the screen, the weight and size for a 15 inch laptop, being a finger print magnet, design might put some people off, little bit harder to upgrade, no sd card reader, not sure about this one but apparently all maintainence is prohibited. Apart from all of these, it is a very solid purchase of you can get it for a good price.

Once again i would wait for a little bit and see how the dell 7577 turns out and then make your decision.

Also the msi GT series and the new raider could be your choices too but I don't know much about them.

8. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The 7577 is looking like it won't live up to the hype. The battery size got basically cut in half and the cooling form the 7567 likely won't be able to handle the 1060MQ. Unless they update it, I expect this one to flop hard.

tesm1th likes this.
  9. LeFear

LeFear Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That could totally be the case. Guess we won't have to wait much longer to find out as it should be available starting from tomorrow.

10. tesm1th

tesm1th Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    7577 will be a dealbreaker when priority is portability and battery life. I am sure it will have some sort of issue from the beginning