Notebook for 1080p gaming and University.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Corpse14, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Corpse14

Corpse14 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and after 2 months or so of searching, I'm still not 100% sure which laptop to buy...

1) What is your budget?
    Around 2000£

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    I'll be buying it in the UK.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell, Alienware, Razer, MSI
    b. Dislike: HP

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Mostly 1080p gaming (a gtx1060 is perfect for my needs).

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    It'll be sitting on my desk most of the time but I do plan on taking it once in a while on trips with me (especially when I'm traveling).

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, mostly WoW, OW, BF1, Witcher 3.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Very little, I'll barely be using it unplugged.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is OK.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10.

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    I definitely do not need more than 1080p.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    The current screen I have now (Alienware 14) is a 14inch WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare Display which never let me down but I'm open to G-sync models of course.

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    By the end of this month.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    Like my current one, a minimum of 4 years.

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    I definitely want a SSD drive for windows and some games, I have now a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250gb mSATA and I only use my HDD for storage.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No.

The models I checked are:
    • MSI GE63VR Raider: It has barely any reviews and I was told that the GE series is not that good.
    • Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming with GTX 1060 (coming out next week): While I loved the current Dell Inspiron gaming, the GTX 1050TI wasn't good enough. I was hoping that with a GTX 1060 and new IPS screen, this laptop would be really good.
    • Razer Blade Pro FHD with GTX 1060 (coming out next week): A bit expensive but what I loved about the Razer Blades is the build quality and looks, they just look awesome. The problem with both the Razer Blade and Blade Pro was the thermals and noise levels. I was hoping that the GTX1060 coupled with the Razer Blade Pro's size would lead to good thermals and acoustics.
    The last laptop I bought was the Alienware 14 back in 2013. It NEVER caused me any problems but the current AW13, while praised, is just a bit too small for me, I really want to go bigger this time.
    The AW15 is just too bulky and heavy hence why it didn't make the list.

Thank you for reading! Any input would be appreciated.

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Avoid the Blade. The QC/QA issues with those machines are horrible. Not to mention the fact that Razer support is literally the worst in the industry. In addition, they've had a very poor track record of glaring design flaws found on @pbhenry3 's YT channel.

3. tesm1th

tesm1th Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Acer Predator Helios 300 (for GTX1060)
    Acer Nitro 5 is similar to Helios 300 but spots GTX1050Ti instead

Lenovo Legion Y720

4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Both Helios 300 and Nitro 5 (in their top end i7 configs) run quite toasty. I know the 7700HQ + 1050 Ti Nitro 5 runs above 90*C under load. Think the Helios was high 80s.

tesm1th likes this.
  5. Corpse14

Corpse14 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the replies.

Noted, I read EVERYWHERE how Razer support is bad, guess I'll stay clear.

Like I said, I'm not interested in anything below the GTX 1060, and I did read like don_svetlio said, that the Acer Predator Helios 300 runs hot.

I didn't mention in my OP but thermals are top for me, I really want a laptop that stays relatively cool (hence why I'm not going with the GTX 1070).

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    If you don't mind large, the Asus G752VM is one of the cooler 1060 models, though if you start OCing, things change quickly. Alternatively, the Acer Predator 15/17 cools the GPU quite well but the CPU gets toasty warm. Alienware 15/17 are also options. Assuming you get the newer ones, (original batch had heat issues due to uneven contact) you can expect thermals around 80*C under heavy load. MSI GT series also have solid cooling, though I personally don't like the exterior chassis build quality on them. (the screen flexes quite a bit for a 2000$ machine)

7. Corpse14

Corpse14 Newbie

Reputations:
    That Asus G752VM just looks horrible xD
    I just searched for the MSI 15.6" GT62VR 7RD, it's even on sale on scan.co.uk, 1700£ for the 1070 version and 1530£ for the 1060. A bit on the heavy side (~3kg) but still OK I guess.
    The AW 15 is just TOO big and heavy, yes it's thinner than before but that very large compared to other 15" laptops.

Any opinions on the MSI Stealth series or Raider series?

8. tesm1th

tesm1th Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    wow the thermal management is bad.

9. LeFear

LeFear Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Check out the Lenovo legion y720 and wait a week and see how the new dell 7577 turns out. I swear if that with the 1060 but smaller battery gets at least 6 hours of battery life and a decent screen id be jumping on it at a heartbeat.

10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    GS series are delicate, if you are rough on a laptop, they're sub-optimal. Also they do run on the warm side.