Notebook Coolers : A Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by X2P, May 23, 2008.

1. MaSuYa

MaSuYa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I brought a new laptop (Sager NP8278) earlier this year and was considering buying a new cooler for it.
    Currently I have an old Zalman ZM-NC2000 and while I'm happy with it I thought I could easily find a more modern equivalent with better specs, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Right now the way I use my cooler is that I align the back of the laptop with the end of the cooler grid instead of the back edge of the cooler since the laptop air vents are on the lower back end of the laptop. Because of this, the front of my laptop up to the front feet is on my desk instead of the cooler. I really like this since I often rest my hands on the desk with my fingers near the touchpad and I don't think that a cooler that raise the laptop by an inch would be as comfortable...

So what I'm looking for is a cooler with the same shape, with the front only a few millimeters high so the front of my laptop is not raised too high, but it look like all the new coolers on the market have nearly an inch thick front which seems weird since back when I brought the Zalman 2000, it was an highly recommended model and yet, a few years later, I can't find any clones with bigger fans anywhere.

Thanks

2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    The only option that I believe is worth spending money on; Cooler Master Notepal U3. Modified with 12v fans and a separate 12V power adapter.

3. SergiBoix

SergiBoix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HI!! I just receive the Notepal U3 and is fantastic, I'm so happy, I think it was a very good buy.

Now let's wait the XMG laptop, his colleague :)

4. Papusan

Reputations:
    More amazing if you throw the fans who were with and replaces them with 12v fans-12v adapter and makes holes for the fans in the cooler.

5. SergiBoix

SergiBoix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok!!! I will take not thanks a lot @Papusan.

6. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello! What would you recommend for a P34W?...The problem is that that laptop mainly gets hot on the top part, near the power button, not the bottom. First time I see that on a laptop, I guess the idea of the constructor was you could use the laptop on your lap.
    I have a Zalman NC2000 but it doesn't seem to be doing much good (I think the cooler fans are no longer working properly: I have been using it for 6 years now).
    I see a lot of people recommending the Notepal U3, but frankly, I don't see myself dismantling the cooler and adding more fans: I'm not really a DIY guy :(
    Other option would be to find a small USB fan and place it on top of the power button, but most USB fans are not small enough for that.
    Any thoughts?...Thanks!

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Most coolers outside a mod U3 has no function other than to be a storage space for your laptop. Either a U3 or just buy cheap Cool feet.https://www.google.no/search?q=Cool...X&ved=0CCwQsARqFQoTCM7t75_fuMgCFcnXLAodSFkOeA
    http://www.bluelounge.com/us/stands/cool-feet

8. Evatar

Evatar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would you recommend a cooler for a 'MSI GE70 Apache Pro-681'? Take into account tha modded coolers aren't really option for me due to parts supply, would need something mainstreamish so that I can get it in my country.

9. Flippy18

Flippy18 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I bought a MSI GE62 2QF Apache pro (15,6", i7-4720HQ, GTX970M, 8G RAM, 128G SSD + 1T HDD) and I would like to find the best cooling pad for this laptop and try to improve its lifespan.

Here is some indications:

1) Budget

Price isn't an issue

2) Is noise an issue for you? Are you annoyed but noticeable noise?

Not really, my laptop is already noisy when I play.
    A speed control button would be appreciated though.

3) Post a picture of the under side of your notebook along with basic measurements like shown earlier in this guide. (just link to a previous post if your notebook has been posted before)

15.6", 38 cm * 26 cm.
    • Components positions (Be careful, Right / Left inverted)
    [​IMG]

• Lower case (Left and right inverted again)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got an old Cooler Master Notepal U3 but:
    • the 3 fans seem to be worn out and not blow as before,
    • I'm not sure of the 3 separates fans suitability with the vent fan placement,
    • I wonder if a laptop cooler with one big fan in the center would not be more efficient.

4) Do you have a color preference?

Pink with yellow spot. And bear fur on the right side.

5) Any brands you would like to avoid?

Nope.

In fact, my first question is one big fan in the center or 3 small and adjustable fans ?

Hope you guys can help me out !

@++

Flippy18

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    ;)
    Use the cooler you already have. U3 is the best you can use. Buy 3x120mm 12v fans and a 12v adapter and mod the U3. Take a look at this one... http://imgur.com/a/IGq3C#0