Notebook Coolers : A Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by X2P, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClaudioA

ClaudioA Newbie

Reputations:
    I need your advice guys.
    I have a Dell Studio 1557 and it's TOO HOT under heavy load (GPU reaches almost 100 degrees celcious. CPU around 85).

1) Budget
    Whatever it takes to lower those temps.

2) Is noise an issue for you? Are you annoyed but noticeable noise?
    No

3) Post a picture of the under side of your notebook along with basic measurements like shown earlier in this guide. (just link to a previous post if your notebook has been posted before)
    I've marked the hotest spots in the picture. The design of this laptop is awful.
    The most important here is lowering the temps of the CPU and GPU.

[​IMG]

4) Do you have a color preference?
    Black, but not really.

5) Any brands you would like to avoid?
    There is a catch here. I'm from south america (Chile) and i can't find the Cryos, any model.
    Any other one (Thermaltake, Zelman, Coolermaster etc.) are (almost) all available here.

Thanks!!!....and by the way, Great tread!!!

2. streetlife

streetlife Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello ppl, i am interested in the cooler for Asus G73JH... but am not sure if its worth with such great kind of Asus cooling itself... ? any proposals?

3. aLcH3m!sT

aLcH3m!sT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I think the heat is because of the DUST in the laptop. Mainly blocking the heat vents... Now that is an issue. I think it is better you first open up your laptop and check whether there is any dust blocking the vents of the heatsink... Clean them and then check once again....

As far as i know the Zalman NC-2000 is a pretty good cooler..... The only reason i am not buying it is cuz it is not available here (IN INDIA)....

4. Serret

Serret Newbie

Reputations:
    short:
    1) Budget: it's not an issue although I'd expect it to be around 50$ give or take (lower isn't a problem obviously :p)

2) Noise: This is an issue, I'd prefer a low noise cooler.

3) Picture and measurements: (pic posted bellow)
    -measurements: 384mm x 265mm

4) Color preference: Not particularly, not pink?

5) Brands to avoid: Targus is a no go for me and anything unreliable.

long:
    Hey,
    I currently own an Asus N61JQ (16'' laptop) and I'd like to hear your advice on which cooler to buy for it as the air entrances are oddly positioned and there aren't that many either. Also the temperatures in idle are around:
    CPU:55ºC
    Disk:29ºC
    GPU:54ºC

I've seen the CPU go up to 69ºC under load. But I'm expecting the temperatures to get higher as we reach summer... So I rather prevent anything right now.

[​IMG]
    (quick note the red rectangle to the far right is an air exit obviously)

Also, would you recommend me doing custom air entrances to the right of the memory ones?

Thanks in advance

5. thuhoan

thuhoan Newbie

Reputations:
    i also have the 1557/1558. can someone help us?

6. InstantOatmeal

InstantOatmeal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    1) Budget
    50 bucks

2) Is noise an issue for you? Are you annoyed but noticeable noise?
    Yes needs to be quiet

3) Post a picture of the under side of your notebook along with basic measurements like shown earlier in this guide. (just link to a previous post if your notebook has been posted before)

It's an Acer Aspire 5740G-6979 (Doesn't get ALL that hot, only the back vent and the middle of the keyboard

4) Do you have a color preference?
    Nope

5) Any brands you would like to avoid?
    Nothing cheap

I've never bought a notebook cooler, so I don't know much about them. But I would like one under $50, aluminum or metal, and needs to not have an exposed fan (I want it to sit comfortable on my lap)

Also, like I said before, the notebook only gets KINDA hot while playing TF2/Sims 3 (only on the middle of the bottom/back vents)

Thanks for any suggestions!

7. streather

streather Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    anyone know of a reseller in europe that sells the nzxt cryo lx cooler? i can't seem to find one.

8. Ferretwulf

Ferretwulf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oddly enough, I have both of those coolers in my house (The Cryo-LX appears to be the same as the 001B) and have used them both on my wife's vostro 1720. I thought the Cryo would take honors, however, the smaller Notepal U2 actually ended up cooling significantly better.

Why?

Even though it is smaller, you can place the two fans on the U2 where you want to in order to maximize cooling. Lining them up with the appropriate intake vents on the 1720 increased idle cooling by 5C over the Cryo, and max cooling my 7C. I think part of the issue is that the cutouts on the Cryo are poorly positioned for the vents on the 1720. They may work better on whatever it is you are using. The Cryo worked great on my old M1330 and my new E6400 (though it dwarfs both of them, of course), though I may pick up another U2 for the E6400 given its portability.

I would not recommend using the Cryo on a bed. The fans would end up getting blocked by the soft surface, and, frankly, it pretty damn heavy. I would not want to attempt to use it in my lap.

9. Jeffrey1987

Jeffrey1987 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. stella[r]

stella[r] Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys!

Will the Enermax Aeolus CP001 works with G60jx? Because I'm going to buy one (they shipped together all the way from USA) so I have to make sure if they work flawlessly...

Any comments are appreciated

Cheers!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.