Notebook Battery Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by chrisyano, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. Maikky

Maikky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've also read somethings where battery stop charging at X capacity, but I've also read that the bat when plugged in will keep using some of the bat power and constantly charge to capacity . Do most laptops only run on ONLY AC power then plugged in ? or do they use some of the battery ?

If so, is there anyway to shut off battery charging when AC is plugged in ?

3. Moron Majorca

Moron Majorca Newbie

Reputations:
    hey man thank you very much for this value info u are battery pro :)...this information about battery isnt written in my laptob manual...thx very much

4. SixAndNine

SixAndNine Newbie

Reputations:
    Interesting, thanks for the guide.

5. PoppyM

PoppyM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone else heard that to prolong the battery life on your laptop you should remove the battery from the laptop when it's plugged into AC? I always thought that so whenever it charged to full power I'd remove it and use the laptop without the battery.
    But somebody else has told me that it's actually worse for the laptop if you do that. Does anybody have some advice? Any info would be very much appreciated :)

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    The laptop itself doesn't care what you use or what you do, concerning that issue. Just so long as you don't cut power to it in the middle of operations, that is.

7. PoppyM

Reputations:
    What about the battery though? i heard it lasts a lot longer if it's taken out

8. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Possibly, though I never bother with taking mine out. I still get about 6 hours on a charge two years and a few months later (original charge was about 8 hours). This is with the battery plugged in while using AC about... 90% of the time of ownership?

9. PoppyM

Reputations:
    Cool, thanks for the info! :)

10. giorginho7

giorginho7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    PoppyM it isn't bad to remove the battery from the laptop, in fact it's better than to leave it on all the time BUT DO NOT REMOVE the battery fully charged! This would in fact be bad!

I would like to ask everyone who hasn't to take a look at the guide on the very first page of this thread here. This is where all the answers to questions such as PoppyM's are, and thanks to Gandalf's suggestion, you can now see where those 'answers' got me after 5 whole years of using my laptop while trying to preserve my battery's health! ->
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...te-data-battery-life-usage-3.html#post9347663

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.