Notebook Battery Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by chrisyano, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c0mplex

c0mplex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a laptop that has a non-removable battery and my notebook serves as a desktop replacement (meaning that I use it for long periods of time on a daily basis). Are there any ways to prevent battery deterioration?

2. davidfor

davidfor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is no harm in partial discharges of Li-Ion batteries. In fact, there is some evidence that avoiding the extremes of the charge levels (not fully charged and not completely discharged) will extend the batteries life. This is why many laptops can be set to stop charging the battery at not fully charged level. I have a Samung that can be set to a maximum of 80%. And, a common recommendation is not to run the battery down 10% or even 20%.

Running the battery down to zero charge, won't harm it, but it you should not leave it discharged. The battery will continue to self-discharge, and it left long enough, this can let the battery voltage drop to a point that can be dangerous. If this happens, the protection circuit will prevent the battery from being recharged. This should take days to happen, but I recharge sooner rather than later.

The only other thing for a full discharge is to recalibrate the batteries fuel gauge, This can stop reading accurately but a couple of full cycles should fix it.

3. davidfor

Reputations:
    Firstly, I am always of the opinion the battery should stay in the laptop. It is there to be used, so I use it. Also, it acts as UPS for those unfortunate times.

There is no way to prevent the deterioration of a Li-Ion battery. It can be slowed, but not by that much. In your case, there isn't much you can do. It is a good idea to fully cycle the battery at least once a month. The only other thing is the temperature of the battery. Warm batteries age faster than cool batteries. If you know where it is and can see if it gets warmed by the laptop, improving the cooling to that area can help. Raising the back of the laptop could be enough, or a fan might be needed.

4. fashion_m

fashion_m Newbie

Reputations:
    Where to find this setting? I have Acer Iconia Tab W501p, Windows 7 Professional.

5. davidfor

Reputations:
    In my Samsung, an R780, it is a BIOS setting, Samsung supply a utility to set this from inside Windows. I know some Acer laptops have this function, but I don't know how they do it. I don't know if the Iconia Tab does. It wouldn't surprise me if a tablet didn't do this, as I would expect them to be used in ways that want the maximum runtime when on battery.

6. Accolade83

Accolade83 Newbie

Reputations:
    Glad I found this guide. I came here to ask advice on what to do with the battery for my new PowerPro R 12:17 and this was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

7. arsenal71

arsenal71 Newbie

Reputations:

hi there
    please let me know how you set the battery to 80% because i got samsung r 780 but i don't now how to do that

many thanks

8. davidfor

Reputations:
    There are two ways:

- Go into the BIOS as the system boots. I can't think of the name of the option.

- One of the Samsung utilities will set it. I think it is called "Easy Battery Manager". This will actually changes the BIOS option and doesn't take effect until you reboot.

9. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
  10. arsenal71

arsenal71 Newbie

Reputations:
    There are two ways:

- Go into the BIOS as the system boots. I can't think of the name of the option.

- One of the Samsung utilities will set it. I think it is called "Easy Battery Manager". This will actually changes the BIOS option and doesn't take effect until you reboot

thank you i found that in bios i cannot find that one in samsung utilities
    now if i want to go somewhere with the laptop what i have to do to charge the battery 100%? change the settings again ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.