Noteb.com - Online database with laptop models

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Blacky, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Can I ask how you're pulling your data? I've been debating making an app for iOS that would do something similar, but I haven't looked into how to get all the info at the moment.

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's a complicated system of machine learning and human input. If you want to make an app we can provide you with a webservice and get your data from us.

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Press Release
    [01.02.2018]
    Today Starchaser ltd. announces the official launch of its laptop database and search engine, Noteb.com. While Noteb.com also features acquisition guides and reviews, its core is a powerful search engine coupled with comprehensive search options. Users are also provided with a six-step wizard that guides them into finding a laptop based on their use case while maintaining compatibility between their preferences and possible laptop features.

With over 6 million possible custom laptop configurations and 900 standard laptop models, the website is aimed at both novice and expert laptop enthusiasts. Moreover, for users looking to build their own notebook configuration, the website’s single strongest drawcard is its compatibility guidance in both searching and customizing laptop models. Users can also compare up to four different laptops and have a comprehensive rating system that evaluates each laptop characteristic including battery life, weight, processing power, storage size, and build materials, to that of other laptops on the market.

The website currently features the latest laptop models and is constantly updated to keep up with market changes. Information is sourced from the U.S. and West European markets. The engine will easily recommend notebook models from multiple producers, giving each user the best options for her or his needs. The service is of course free to use and not part of any referencing program.

In the future, Starchaser plans to better incorporate price data from online retailers and offer database access to third-party websites and mobile apps.

Starchaser ltd is an independent European company, with its headquarters in Bucharest, currently pursuing the development of new and better-focused on-line services for internet users.

4. slimmolG

slimmolG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice site!
    Although the pick-a-laptop quiz doesn't exactly have the questions to pin-point what I need it for, I whipped right through the Qs using the "best-approximation" approach and my P650 was right there in the first spot!

Finally... some external validation I made the right choice!
    :D

But, yes, nice site. I'll definitely pass on that bookmark

Blacky likes this.
  5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nice feedback! What questions did you feel were missing ? There is always room for improvement.

6. slimmolG

slimmolG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A question/selector for maximum expandable memory requirements, e.g. 32 vs 64 GB would would be helpful. Even if asked as a qualitative "min" vs "max" question.

And I get the gist behind most of the specific program examples used to guide the CAD selection panel, but I'm not sure what the optimal selections would be for those who don't use those programs. Another pop out panel with alternative text boxes that said "CPU heavy" "CPU/GPU heavy", "CPU light" etc or other special program attribute (instead of it's name) would be a good alternative, for people who need power but are non-CAD, like bio/chem-engineers, bio-modelers, or those running CPU+GPU computations.

But, the RAM selector idea seems like it would be more helpful to limit the query returns.

7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I could definitely add a memory selection in the last question.
    I was thinking of adding a pop-up panel , but I was thinking no one will read it. I will think about it.

slimmolG likes this.
  8. fuzzybabybunny

fuzzybabybunny Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great site!

I noticed that there wasn't an option to search for *detachable* 2-in-1 notebooks. There are a bunch of 2-in-1 notebooks out there, but they mostly have a permanent hinge. I'm looking for a 2-in-1 that can detach to form a tablet, but which also has two Thunderbolt ports.

Blacky likes this.
  9. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Thank you for letting me know. This is not the first time this feature has been requested and I may add it in the future.
    For now you can search for 2-in-1 but it includes non-detachable laptops, there are not that many models which have the options you want so you could probably just browse through them:
    noteb search for 2 in 1 + Thunderbolt. There are just 24 models that fit this criteria. You have pictures for all of them to check if the keyboard is detachable.

I don't know any laptop with more than one Thunderbolt port except for Apple. They may have more than one USB Type-C port, but only one will have Thunderbolt support.

These are the only models I found:
    https://noteb.com/?model/model.php?conf=2747475918347658891_1413&ex=USD
    https://noteb.com/?model/model.php?conf=7239228986755978774_150&ex=USD
    https://noteb.com/?model/model.php?conf=1508736309817163900_558&ex=USD

10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    BTW, you can now follow us on Twitter were we post our latest database updates.