Noteb.com - Online database with laptop models

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Blacky, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    After years of hard work, it is finally done! Noteb.com is a search engine and online database that can help you find your perfect notebook.

Please give me some feedback on it. Currently beta-testing!

This project has taken about 3 years to complete and took almost all my free time.

Thank you!

atacool3, sicily428, CedricFP and 2 others like this.
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I've seen a lot of websites like this that are just awful...

I'm... Actually pretty impressed. The search feature actually kinda works, which I've never seen on those sites.

And the model options having their configuration options change-able is pretty sweet.

My one constructive criticism is that the search results still have a lot of full priced Maxwell laptops. Paying 1300 for a 965m is awful but it shows up. Not sure how to factor that into the search, either remove Maxwell, or set a price threshold a Maxwell offering should be below perhaps.

Great job though so far.

Blacky likes this.
  3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thank you so much!
    It's easy to remove Maxwell from the default search results. But the problem is the transitional periods, like Pascal is just out, but still most laptops are Maxwell. I suppose I could implement a minimal launch date for the GPU like I did for the CPU.
    BTW, here: https://noteb.com/?search/adv_search.php? you can select the GPU architecture. Also you can further filter the results, for instance, let's say you do a default search, you can then click on refine search or on the search button and your default search parameters will be automatically completed, you then just need to add your desired architecture.

BTW, there are even new laptops released now with Maxwell, but mostly with 940MX.

4. Galm

Reputations:
    Yeah I saw all that I more meant if you just search gaming laptops you still get 1300 dollar AW 15 R2s. Not really new or good.

Btw your front page all the images my friends agreed looks a little over crowded and click baity. Which is a shame because once you search it looks really awesome. They agreed maybe make it a bit more minimalist like the search results somehow.

Blacky and Jarhead like this.
  5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have an idea how I can fix the ... old models issue. It's on the list now thanks to you.
    I have a new design in the works for the front page, not radically different, but I will let you know when I push the updates.

6. Galm

Reputations:
    Awesome! Feel free to tag me if you make another post.

7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Quick question:

I have an MSI model https://noteb.com/?model/model.php?model_id=431
    Problem is in US it is only available with HD display, in EU it's available with FHD display. Now, my problem is, if someone from US is searching for a laptop, they may opt for the one with FHD but then when they will want to buy it, they will find no place to buy it from.
    Should I leave the FHD display as an option or remove it ?

8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @Galm Website has been updated. I plan on getting out of beta this Monday. Please check it out.

9. Galm

Reputations:
    I like it a lot more now!

Only thing that bothers me is I really don't like the alignment of search at the top. Line it up with the side bar better. Otherwise it looks much more professional.

10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @Galm - Fixed!
    It was actually a bug, it was supposed to be aligned with the side bar. Thanks for pointing it out.