Not versed in the car audio department, but am looking for a new setup

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Levenly, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    i got my family's '98 mustang in January since my ole buick was wrecked by some jerk back in Novemeber last year...

this car seems to be in good shape and shy of 100K, so i feel i'm going to hold onto this one for a little bit and i've decided to redo the sound system.

i don't need a huge elaborate setup, however, i want something with mild power and decent quality. recently i've noticed as i've taken over the car, my left speaker on the driver side is beginning to rattle, probably because i blast Zeppelin way too loud, and then also because last year when i was driving my friends around we thought it would be funny to crank A Milli pretty high up. eh, it didn't blow out the speakers, but i'm sure it damaged them!

anyways. what options am i looking at here? would new speakers suffice by themselves? or should i just go ahead and get an amp and a sub and replace all the speakers?

i'm here like a sponge ready to absorb your car audio wisdom!

2. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    what is your budget?

3. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, you need a head unit too it makes a big difference. You don't necessarily need an amp for those speakers though if you want to save money. I would get a sub even if a single one. It doesn't have to be one to rumble the neighbors but enough to make your music sound better. It really creates that full spectrum of audio by doing it. You will need an amp for the sub though.

Heres what i did for my car and while it isn't heard for miles away, it is loud enough to hurt my ears when i crank it while still being crisp and clear.

Front door kickers:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8704495&type=product&id=1199495391793

Rears:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ny+6x9+speakers&type=product&id=1166236105775

Last years upper end mainstream sony head unit (about 150 dollars). I cant find a link for it.

And 2x10" subs.

4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    You can get subs that don't require an amp, but you have to have a nice headunit to pull that one off. I'd say that 1, 10" sub will suffice more than you need, thats all I use in a Dodge Mega cab and thats got much more area than your little stang. So you either have to get an amp and a sub, or a nice headunit and an unamped sub, the amp route would be cheaper. ;)

5. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    my budget is variable, as when time goes by my budget increases and this will be a few month process of collecting parts, so i guess for now i don't want to go over $500, though, i would appreciate getting the better deals and whatnot.

and yeah, i'm not looking to kill my neighbors in the morning or anything. this is for personal use.

i agree with the notion of adding the sub as it will increase the tones to much of the music i listen to (Nick Mason uses those floor toms a lot and i like the low tones but my speakers provide a tinny sound right now).

i mean, i'm not Young Jibbs and i don't want King Kong in my trunk.

EDIT:

would replacing the speakers be advisable? they're beginning to rattle... i have to fade the music to the back a little.

6. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, i would replace them. The speakers are the cheap part. But they will make a big difference in the high tones. Does your car have spaces for tweaters? If they do you can get away from having 2 or 3 way kickers. But if they dont get 3 way kickers if possible. It will make a big difference in the high tones. If they rattle they are probably blown.

7. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    I can't say enough good things about my Alpine head unit (9873 I believe) that I've got in the hearse. (I'm not too big of a fan of the X-300 in my Caprice though, it's too slow).

However, I have no clue when it comes to speakers. I've been happy with the Blaupunkts that I've put in two of my cars, but that is the only experience that I've had with aftermarket speakers.

8. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    where exactly could you put tweeters? like above the door on the front sides towards the dash? there is a cutout for a speaker, but normally the GT's and Cobra models have those. i just have the cutouts and a plastic molding there for speakers in my 6 banging

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yeah, you can cut them out and put tweeters in there if you wish, it does help to pull the sound stage to the front, which is usually desired. I would most definitely upgrade the stock speakers, unless it has a 'premium' sound system that is still in good working condition. But if they're making bad noises like you say then upgrade them for sure.

10. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    they're not premium, they're just the standard speakers. i will upgrade those i think, and i am gunna look into the tweeters then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.