Norton Security Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Norton detecting its own files as a virus, seen this a few times now on Wilders Security Forums:

[​IMG]

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, the Norton scans also have a "clean up" phase, and the lines don't give a specific Viral threat assessment, so it's probably just a convenience cleanup during the virus scan rather than a specific viral catch.

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    still, doesn't give me confidence using their products. If the AV itself is buggy, I look no further

4. yutzybrian

yutzybrian Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've always considered Norton malware in itself, so it's fitting

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Norton AV has not been "buggy" and it's not "malware", it's highly rated, and gets improved on a daily basis with new detections loaded frequently, like up to 10x / hour at high points in new activity.

Especially on new CPU's, newer than say 15 years ago, the % of usage is tiny, and Norton does a good job of providing a "Game mode" to stave off background scans to avoid disk contention based lag. The memory usage is also small.

I turn off a lot of the features I don't need like SPAM protection - it's done at gmail / work - and I don't have URL injection enabled - I don't need them checking on my site usage - and I turn off scanning on area's that don't change - since they've already been checked when created and I still manually right click check folders before archiving them.

I do the same with every Firewall / AV I install, I take the time to go through *all* the options and change them for privacy and to reduce resource usage.

Right now I am using Bitdefender on Vista, and Comodo Internet Security Premium Vista, Win 7 and 8.1, and these are good alternatives to Norton.

Bitdefender has a 90 trial from the first URL, 30 days from the normal landing:
    https://www.bitdefender.com/site/Facebook/redFreeDownload
    https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/security-for-xp-and-vista.html

Comodo Free Internet Security Software Complete protection against viruses and attacks.
    https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

Norton Security Deluxe Download the 30-day free trial - complete security and antivirus suite.
    https://us.norton.com/downloads-trial-norton-internet-security

FREE Norton Antivirus and Internet Security 2017 – 90 Days Trial
    https://www.geckoandfly.com/8523/free-norton-antivirus-and-internet-security-2011-90-days-trial/
    Look around on this site, there are several links for free AV/Security products, with longer trial times.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    I have Norton Antivirus Basic, no firewall or anything else, just the built in Trend Micro Antivirus in my ASUS router. Norton AV caught this bad connection attempt while I was on a site that converts YouTube video to MP3, pretty neat that the Antivirus only was able to intercept this bad connection:

PS: the site I was won had nothing to do with that attacking computer domain that appears below, I was on a totally different site.

2019-06-06_161648.jpg

@downloads

hmscott likes this.
  8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    @hmscott I am not having a problem with my browser redirecting me to that domain bro. It's just when I visited this YouTube to MP3 Converter site (Vubey) did I notice this happen

But I will do another scan on my system with MBAM just to make sure I'm clean.

I'm gonna also add that domain to my HOSTS file

hmscott likes this.
  9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    @hmscott

MBAM scan came out clean so it was that site trying to redirect me to that domain which Norton caught.

2019-06-06_165444.jpg

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's great!, I thought as much, but it doesn't hurt to double check. :)

How to remove Deloplen.com redirect (Virus Removal Guide)
    Published on April 19, 2019 at 3:53 am | Filed Under: Adware
    https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-deloplen-com/

I use these browser extensions to keep the baddies away: ScriptSafe, ublock Origin, PrivacyBadger (/ Ghostery ), Youtube (Facebook) AdBlocker

Multiple layers of protection, just in case. :)

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.