Norton Security Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Spartan, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This thread is dedicated towards all Norton products discussion, troubleshooting, etc.

2. Spartan

Reputations:
  3. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Spartan likes this.
  4. Spartan

Reputations:
  5. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I run a test of Norton Security Deluxe for some two weeks and it seemed quite OK, apart from several issues which were serious enough to make me give up on it.
    For one thing full scan took twice as long as it did with AVAST or NOD32.

Secondly I've had some unexplained memory leaks from something - no idea how that worked, but neither private bytes nor working set of all of the processes could explain the total amount of used RAM.
    Third issue - which seemed to be related to the second manifested itself by the computer running out of virtual memory (and thus probably physical memory before that) for not apparent reason. It happened several times in the middle of the night when the computer was in sleep mode.
    I admit I haven't investigated it fully, but I somehow didn't feel like it, having been woken up at 4 a.m. - by what must have been a hundred separate windows opening with this annoying sound Windows use for error. :oops:

EDIT: Same thing happened (at 4:35 a.m.:() after I uninstalled Norton, so it's not its fault.

I have replaced Symantec with another suite for testing. If the above-mentioned issued stop from now on, it's safe to assume Norton was at fault. If they don't I'm going to edit this post and retract these statements.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Vasudev, hmscott and Spartan like this.
  6. Spartan

Reputations:
    Love your detailed reviews man. It's always good to get such user experience reviews rather than those inflated online reviews that we say which only give us half of the picture (ie. detection rates)

I also tried it recently, while it was super light before I kinda felt its firewall slowed down my internet a bit although it may be a placebo effect but what I did not enjoy is the constant nagging to install its Norton Toolbar, having to disable Norton Identify Theft which is useless because when I did try to use it, yes it saves my logins and all, but it never auto fills them like last pass. I hate that we cannot custom install it without the bloat like system optimizer and Identify Theft, you also may see parts not relevant to your subscription like the Online Backup and if you click that option it just prompts you to upgrade! Why! I bought the license that I want because that's all I want! don't throw your other features in my face!

Another big pain which you may or not have noticed, when you wanna add all your exclusions you have to do it in both the file scanner then do it again in the Norton Insight or whatever that reputation based thing is called. To add insult to injury, after I've setup 10s of exclusions which was a pain since Norton doesn't display system hidden files by default like NOD32/EIS does, and you have to do this one at a time, there is no option to save all your settings like in NOD32/EIS so when you reinstall it, enjoy another hour of configuring your firewall rules and /or exclusions.

Great product spoiled by a horrible UI

Vasudev likes this.
  7. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @Phoenix You are right about the UI - in fact you reminded me about one more complaint. UI is too slow - double clicking on a tray icon or loading a history of recent events takes too long (keeping in mind that I've only tested this suite for two weeks or so, so there was not that much history to load to begin with).

Vasudev, hmscott and Spartan like this.
  8. Spartan

Reputations:
  9. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why do most mainstream sites give great reviews to Norton yet it is often despised and even called malware on this forum? Not saying people here are wrong, just want to understand the disconnect.

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've wondered about it myself for years :)

There was a time, like 10 years ago now, when Norton came out with Norton Security versions / architecture updates that did hit performance hard, and I stopped using it for a while too.

Since that got fixed I have never had trouble with Norton Security / NIS / AV at all, and used it on lots of desktops / laptops.

I now use Comodo too, and have used a number of other AV/Firewall tools over time on Windows / Mac, and UNIX server versions too.

I also use plugin's in Firefox, Chrome, Opera for privacy and ad blocking, and so far nothing slows down even Vista running PC's using 2010 hardware. Of course new hardware has no negative impact when running security software.

I do configure the settings to ignore folders and volumes that hold already vetted files, to reduce the run time of full system checks.

I don't use SPAM filtering on the desktop / mobile, but I do use ad-blocking.

If you like Norton, keep using it, if you haven' used it for a while, give it another shot, it's had good results for me over the years.

Comodo is good too:
    https://www.comodo.com/products/free-products.php

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Spartan likes this.