Norton Internet Security vs McAfee Security Center

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by AussieVesti, Jan 27, 2008.

?

Which software package is better?

Poll closed Feb 3, 2008.
  1. Norton Internet Security

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. McAfee Security Center

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, but i recommend Antivir over AVG.

2. Matt is Pro

Matt is Pro I'm a PC, so?

Reputations:
    I use NIS 2008, and I must say I couldn't be more satisfied. It doesn't bug me, and I don't experience any slow downs due to NIS.

I find it hard to trust these free AVs, just isn't for me.

3. AussieVesti

AussieVesti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well the thing is, the anti virus software comes with the laptop for free. At least that what I think. I'll email the Sales rep and clarify if I can take it out to reduce the price. If that is possible, then I'll post back here.

4. clyde1

clyde1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is Norton 360 an option for you?

Looking at latest issue of PC Magazine, looks like the three top rated (per their opinion) were Norton 360, Norton Security Suite 2008, and ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

Sounds like Norton 360 is light on resources and doesn't ask for many decisions from the user, but maybe a little less configurable. I'm thinking of getting Norton Security Suite 2008 myself. Hard to do though. I vowed never to get a Norton product 5 years ago when I couldn't get their pre-installed SW off of my desktop without screwing things up. But time does heal. Right now I'm using CA Security Suite (free with RoadRunner), and I think the firewall is causing most of my network connection issues, plus it's sluggish, I'm ready to dump it.

5. Cape Consultant

Cape Consultant SSD User

Reputations:
    I am demo'ing NIS 2008. I agree. It feels MUCH lighter. Does what I need it to do, and I will never need Parental Controls, SPAM, etc. Of course, I do not really want to pay for it in 2 weeks either. But I just might. the time spent trying out different programs is fun for me, but certainly not a money maker.

6. Matt is Pro

Reputations:
    I must say, I really like NIS 2008 compared to previous versions.

I'm glad to finally see a thread not filled with...

"screw norton and mcafee!! they suck and make your computer suck!! AVG FTW!!!! AVAST!!!" Blah blah.

7. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    You can't hide from the truth.

Norton/McAfee = $$$/year
    AVG, Avast, Spybot S&D = FREE/year.

8. Matt is Pro

Reputations:
    Yeah, but just because Norton costs money doesn't make it suck, which by your post above implies.

NIS has come a long way with its 2008 suite. If you guys would give it a shot you may feel differently. I'm not saying you'll switch from what're you using, but it may get you comfortable with recommending Norton and the like.

9. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    I always get free stuff from AV/AS companies, like Norton, McAfee, Trend, and Microsoft. Heck, some of it's like junkmail, Microsoft mailed me Live OneCare with a can of Zune mints unsolicited. The mints were good, but I don't have the time or will to test all that stuff, especially when the normally free stuff is working fine.

10. swarmer

swarmer beep beep

Reputations:
    LOL!!!

I don't hear many good things about Live OneCare... and besides most of it except for the antivirus part is redundant with stuff that's already in Windows Vista.

I'd take the Zune mints though. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.