Non-Classic Car Design Longevity

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by knight427, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    You mean they lose the will to live once they realize you freaky-nice Canadians don't share their hatred of the cold oppressive winter weather???? I get that.

2. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Protege5's replacement, the 2004-2009 Mazda3 s 5-door still looks great, too-
    [​IMG]

I have always thought that the 1994-1995 Acura Legend GS Sedan was one of the most beautiful cars ever built....even 20 years later!
    [​IMG]

But I can't believe how much I used to love the 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo-
    [​IMG]

Check out the Mr. Roboto Digital Dash.....outdated looking even for the mid-80s-
    [​IMG]

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Spoon CEO Tatsuru Ichishima drives a Honda Legend (our Acura RL).

4. allfiredup

Reputations:
    I was glad that Acura stopped using the Legend name after the 1995 model. The boring tank ('96 RL) that replaced it wasn't worthy of the Legend name, IMO. Then again, it was called the Honda Legend everywhere except North America and Hong Kong.

Little known (odd) fact, Honda sold the 2nd-generation Legend ('91-'95) tooling and production rights to Daewoo in South Korea. They were licensed to produce a clone of the Legend Sedan from '94-'99 for sale only in South Korea as the Daewoo Arcadia. It looked identical except for the Daewoo logo on the front and rear, but I'm pretty sure that the assembly quality wasn't quite up to snuff....Daewoo wasn't known for their quality. Then GM bought them out in 2001, a fitting match.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I feel the RL was basically a souped up TL with a technology package and fancier stuff...until the RL got the AWD...but then the TL Type-S got available AWD too.

6. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Acura (or Honda, technically) really went off the reservation with the 1996-1998 Acura 2.5TL & 3.2TL and (especially) the 1996-2004 Acura RL. They were so bland and boring, aesthetically and from the driver's seat!

The '99-'03 and '04-'08 TL and the '04-'08 TSX were great cars. And the '05-'12 RL wasn't a bad car, but it wasn't competitive against larger V8-powered competitors. Then the TL outgrew the RL and it was rendered obsolete but they kept making it anyway.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    '99-'03 TL weren't bad cars, unless you bought a Type-S with the defective clutch plates that ate up your transmission.

Honestly I was looking at a pre '99 TL or RL as a daily driver until I got my new job and decided to go for a brand new car.

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That generation of TL was never available with AWD. Only 2009 and later models offered it. After 2010 you could get one with a 6-speed manual, which is a heck of a car. Pretty darn good in the snow on stock tires, too.

9. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Huh I could have sworn the 2007 TL Type-S had AWD, I know it was offered with a 6 speed manual. That's lame, all those upgrades to power, brakes, wheels and they still make it FWD.

10. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Actually, the 2009 TL was introduced as a 'Base' (3.5L) FWD or high-performance AWD model with Honda's SH-AWD (Super-Handling-All-Wheel-Drive) and a larger 3.7L engine. For 2010, the AWD was made available with a 6-speed manual transmission in addition to the standard 5-speed automatic from 2009.

It was/is an excellent performer, but it also has the distinction of being one of most hideous-looking Japanese cars ever built! The TL is still not an attractive car, even after two substantial 'facelifts'. I'm looking forward to the upcoming 2015 TLX which will replace it as well as the TSX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.