Non-Classic Car Design Longevity

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by knight427, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    The Altima had a huge change from L30 to L31, didn't it also jump up in size (compact to ~mid sized)? They also abandoned that 90's Japanese motor era, dropping the iron block KA24DE to Nissan's modern 2.5L QR motor.

I'm not saying it looks new either, but like late 90s early 2000s, it looked somewhat new, but not "new new".

2. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    96k miles OLD?... that's adorable

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

3. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Yeah my '94 Integra had 276k miles, my '95 240SX SE had 212k+ miles, my '97 CR-V had 220k miles, my '97 Honda Accord had 197k miles.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Yeah, the L31 was a jump to mid-size from compact. And apparently the L30 was pretty unreliable, plagued with engine issues (so I read and so my car friends mention).

As for "old", maybe it's just me, but back when I was getting rides in high school (didn't have a car until the very end), my friends cars were all very early '00s/'90s models with around 100k-175k miles and they all looked beat to hell and such. So mentally, I just associate that sort of mileage with "old". Didn't imply that cars with that mileage were crap or anything like that.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I don't recall issues with the KA24DE...my 240SX had one for ~2 years. The most common issues with that motor is O2 sensor (Nissans in general the OEM O2 sensor goes doo-doo in like 2-4 years), crankshaft position sensor (mine had this issue), camshaft position sensor (less common), and the myriad of electrical issues with Nissans (plagues 90s and 2000's Nissans). I know transmissions issues were common on the Maxima, unsure if it directly affected the Altima models.

90k miles should be a joke for most Japanese cars, they should easily average 180-200k for the drivetrain. You'll have much more issues with electronics overtime (window motor, huge issue with 90's Hondas and in general cars), relays, lights, etc. The only "issues" my 240SX had were: dead battery, crankshaft position sensor, rack/pinion which is common for old cars, CV boot was torn, minor maintenance ie fuel filter, spark plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires, LSD fluid swap, and my rear left brake line had holes in it, had to change that one out. After my first accident, my front hub kept on breaking studs, that was not fun to deal with.

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Well, the L30 owners I've talked to around where I live had problems. Perhaps it was just isolated or something.

I definitely plan on running my L31 to the ground. So maybe ten or so years' worth of driving, give or take... Only major issues I've had so far were the A/C hose leaking, one of the motor mounts shattering, and a malfunctioning transmission-related sensor. Other than that, it's just been "put gas in, change oil, change/rotate tires" routine.

7. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There are definitely designs that'll age gracefully. I think my 2nd gen Taurus looked semi-fresh even today. can't say the same about the 3rd gen jelly bean

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Ehh my gf's family have a Ford Taurus 4th gen wagon, it's pretty hideous. It's already on its 2nd transmission, and it sounds like a pack of angry weasels when it accelerates. And yet I keep saying to buy Japanese and nobody listens to me..

9. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    1984-1988 Audi 5000. It was a major styling revolution when introduced, and it still looks fairly modern even today, if somewhat plain since everyone else copied the 5000's design (*cough* 1986 Ford Taurus *cough*). My parents bought a "Tornado Red" '87 5000 S used in '88 with 20k miles; we got rid of it in 2000 with ~230k miles, but it was seriously falling apart by then (it was never a reliable car to begin with, unfortunately)

10. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I had a 92 SHO 5 speed that had 170k on it and drove like new. Granted the engine and tranny in that were way different than the failure prone auto box in other taurii lol.

While part of me wants another Taurus ( mine sacrificed itself in a serious offset collision into a pole thanks to a elderly gent reversing down the road...) due to its excellent safety record, I hesitate due to the woefully iffy slushbox reliability.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.