Non-Classic Car Design Longevity

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by knight427, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I was discussing this topic with a coworker recently. Some cars I've liked in the not-too-distance past now look pretty to me, while others seem to hold their appeal. For example, I still turn my head to check out a well maintained Mazda Protoge5. It's nothing fancy, but I feel the design has help up very well over the past 10-15 years. I never owned one, but it was in contention twice. As far as I can tell, these two examples pics are stock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To me, it still looks a little bit sporty with an aggressive stance.

Now on the other side of the coin is another car that I had considered buying at one point that I now look at and wonder why I liked it at all. I've always liked the Subaru brand, but I eventually noticed that I always liked the new models, but never liked those same models 3-5 years later. The Outback is the best example for this (it is also the one I had considered buying at one point). The two-tone is one aspect I no longer like (I know they aren't all two-tone but it is very common) and also the rear window design just looks off to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm interested in seeing what other people think but want to lay some loose ground rules.
    1) Stick to cars that no one is collecting, 1980 might be a good cutoff guideline.
    2) This is all subjective opinion, I'm not looking for a debate.
    3) Try to think of one example you still like and one you used to like but no longer do. Posting something you've hated from day one is not what this thread is about.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

MK4 Supra in still, IMO one of the most beautiful cars made, yet mass produced. It's very plain and functional. I cringe everytime I see one with a ridiculous bodykit and gargantuan gaudy wheels.

[​IMG]

FD3S RX-7 also very beautiful, and despite the numbers made, still very rare to find.

I love me my 90's Japanese sports cars, the pinnacle of Japanese dominance and perfection in the car world, IMO.

knight427 likes this.
  3. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    An interesting thread, to say the least...so I'll play...:hi2:

A car that I deemed gorgeous when I first laid my eyes on it more than 25 years ago, and still feel the same way...

1990_alfa_romeo_164-pic-3533035014537600785.jpeg

Would I buy one nowadays? Heck, no. Owning an Alfa 164 in the U.S. is not something I'd ever seriously consider, and the vast majority of the vehicles available come with automatic trans which is a non-starter - at least on a car of this nature - for silly old me.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, when these first came out I fell in love and I almost bought one:

2005_volkswagen_touareg_v8-pic-27034.jpeg

Nowadays, they leave me utterly cold. It doesn't mean that they're bad vehicles, they just don't move me anymore whatsoever.

@Tsunade_Hime
    :

Back in the late 80s I owned - very briefly - a RX-7 from the first generation...it was a blast to drive, but not my cup of tea by any stretch of imagination. A pretty unique vehicle, nevertheless.

knight427 likes this.
  4. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    When I drove my 1992 BMW E36, people thought it was a lot newer, like 2003 or even later.

knight427 likes this.
  5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Eh E36 is...distinctively boxy...though that maybe I'm somewhat of a car enthusiast and knew E46 BMW's were far sleeker, E36 was like a mix of E30 and E46...less boxy than E30, but not as sleek as E46..

6. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    I actually owned one of these malibu-21.jpg maroon with a gold interior --- WHAT what I thinking ?? - Only had it 4 years .... :hi2:

I also owned one of these ADGM3001.jpg for about 10 years and still regret selling it. There were only ~2100 imported to the US and 1988 was the first year it appeared in the USA ... lost my garage space or I would probably still have it.

7. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    I'm not saying the E36 looks new in 2014, just that my car was made in 1992 but didn't look much like a car from 1992. In Europe, production started at the end of 1990. Even guys at my state's department of motor vehicles were surprised it was a '92 when I took it in for inspections and emissions testing. Nobody I met who didn't know what E36 meant thought it was that old.

On the other hand, after I replaced it with a 1992 E30 convertible, all I could hear from people was that my car was old and therefore crappy and a downgrade from my previous car.

8. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    When I was a child, I really, really wanted to own a 3-gen Mitsubishi Eclipse; this was partly influenced by the Fast and Furious series :confused: Now I don't really like how it looks at all.

[​IMG]

Little bit of a biased opinion, but a well-kept L31 Nissan Altima looks nearly brand-new today. Though I almost went with a C11 Nissan Versa hatch (I don't know what I was thinking...).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

knight427 likes this.
  9. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I remember when the L31 Altima's were new, I thought they looked fairly odd. I agree that they appear much newer than they are and the design looks pretty mainstream now.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    And they still drive fairly well as well. Really, the only way I can tell my car is old is when I look at the odometer (nearing 97K miles).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.