Non-BGA Purchasing Options Thread

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by FredSRichardson, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A51m is the higher quality machine, the GT76 is overall a better machine than the P870TM as well in everything but GPU upgradablity (in theory, its very unlikely 3000 series or whatever NV calls them to work in the P8xxxx series, but people have been wrong before).
    Dell seems to actually be supporting DGFF, as evidenced in their newer workstations.

FredSRichardson likes this.
  2. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Notebook Groundsloth

Reputations:
    Gah! I have to take GT76 off my list here - I didn't realize that has soldered graphics...

I'm a bit far away from purchase, but I want to start tracking the options now. I wouldn't mind seeing a refresh from Clevo on the old chassis, though maybe it's good they don't change a design that works.

3. FredSRichardson

Reputations:
    @Papusan - One other question on the Clevo's. I was trying to understand a little better about the tradeoffs between the P870TM-R and P775TM-R. I think I've seen yours and others comments about these two models so I'll try to summarize what I think is true about the P870TM-R (when compared to the P775TM-R):
    • It is based off an older chassis originally designed for two GTX GPUs (in SLI) but currently configured for a single RTX GPU (because SLI is not supported).
    • P870TM-R may be nearer to "end-of-life" as far as the product line goes, but it is also a proven design!
    • It is almost $500 more (I configured both machines with i9-9900K and RTX 2080 and the 120 Hz QHD ).
    • It is about 4 lbs heavier.
    • It is slightly larger (15% thicker, but the other dimensions are less than 5% bigger). The total volume of the case increases by 23%.
    • It is a fair amount heaver: 41% (for a total of 5.5Kg).
    • From what I gather the cooling is significantly better. This is probably thanks to the beefier design of the original dual GPU chassis.
    When I get closer to purchasing I'll re-examine, but if I had to decide today the P870TM would be very tempting with this higher end configuration.

As an aside, it is awesome to have the difficult choice between a 144Hz FHD G-sync display an a 120Hz QHD non-G-sync display in this generation of Clevo's ;)

-Fred

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Sure. I have seen more than enough to say the opposite. And GT76 is a no go for obvious reasons. And not only due the soldered graphics.
    The P870TM(-R) chassis is EOL from Clevo due no more SLI graphics from Nvidia. The P775TM(-R) chassis is still in production at Clevo. But this model will soon be EOL as well. P870TM-R can be purchased at HID if they have them in stock. Run and buy if you need a laptop today.

New Clevo models will be launched 2019.

The P870TM notebook is the best laptop ever produced. You see... A well proven design (have been here since 2015). It won't disappoint you.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Ashtrix likes this.
  5. FredSRichardson

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.