Non-BGA Purchasing Options Thread

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by FredSRichardson, Oct 6, 2019.

1. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Notebook Groundsloth

Reputations:
    I'm a ways out (well hopefully at least 1 year) from getting a new laptop, but periodically I like to try and figure out what the options are for laptops with socketed CPU and GPU components. I'm not sure if anyone else will find this useful, or where this thread should go, but I thought I'd start it here. Please chime in if you have any more info or interest in this topic ;)

As far as I can tell, these are the current models for late 2019 (featuring Intel "Coffee Lake" CPU and nVidia RTX GPU):

Clevo: P750TM-R (15") / P775TM-R (17") / P870TM-R (17", older, bigger and cooler chassis)
    P750TM-R Owner's Lounge
    P775TM Owner's Lounge (note sure this is the right one for this version)
    P870TM-R Owner's Lounge
    Alienware: Area-51m (17")
    Area-51m

There are a lot of vendors for these and looking at the vendor customizations and specs reveals more details about these laptops. I wasn't planning on putting a list of vendors here since that can change a lot. Instead, anyone interested in a particular model can start a "want to buy" thread on the topic and get suggestions that way. Also, it looks like model numbers can very slightly in ways I don't understand (P775TM-G, P775TM-R, P775TM1-G, etc) but appear to support the same hardware configurations.

This site is very helpful for finding current laptops with socketed CPUs and dedicated GPUs (hint: use advanced search):
    noteb

EDIT: GAH! I had to remove MSI GT76 - I thought that had a socketed GPU...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There's also the Clevo P775TM(-R). Which is the currently in production 17" LGA/MXM dGPU model. The P870 has been discontinued due to the lack of a point to dual gpu RTX setups (no sli/nvlink) so will be unavailable once existing stock is sold.

All the Clevo options are basically iterations of the 2016 DMx models so I would hope there would be some new options in a year from now ...

FredSRichardson likes this.
  3. FredSRichardson

Reputations:
    @bennyg - thank you for the info! I'll try to keep this up-to-date.

4. FredSRichardson

Reputations:
    @bennyg - I'm getting a little bogged down in model numbers. There are a few flavors of P775TM (e.g. P775TM1-G vs P775TM-G vs P775TM-R). I'm also not clear on the relationship of these models to the Sager NP9175 vs NP9176. Is one of these the most recent version or are these all different flavors of the current model? Is the right forum for all of these the P775TM owners forum?

5. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    P77xxxM are all 17" single GPU, P870xxxM are dual GPU 17", P75xxxxM are all 15.4". I'd also check out the A51m as another option.

6. FredSRichardson

Reputations:
    Thank you, yes, I have a link to the Area51m in the OP.

I am a bit confused by subtle vendor Clevo model name differences. HID has the P775TM-R but Shenker and Xotic use the model number P775TM1-G. Maybe they are the same? I guess Sager avoids this by never using Clevo model names (at least explicitly on their site)!

7. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    G is G-Sync verification, I believe that is it

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    HID use the TM-R term for distinguishing between models with Pascal and Turing graphics. But all is build on same chassis (TM1 for Pascal and TM-R for Turing).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  9. FredSRichardson

Reputations:
    @Papusan How do you think these three compare?
    P775TM-R, GT76, Area51m (that is if all are configured with say 2080s and same desktop CPU)?

It looks like the Clevo is the only one I've seen that can be configured with a 120Hz QHD. But the Area51m and GT76 look "updated" (maybe because neither manufacturer has made this type of laptop in a while?).

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    MSI Gt76 is nothing more than a Jokebook(soldered graphics), and Area-51m has its own flaws and with limited panel options. I would get the Clevo P870TM-R.