]]>

No power problem after unexpected shutdown

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Halppls, May 26, 2017.

1. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Even a 940xm at 3.2ghz with properly managed TDP/TDC plus the 970M you shouldn't have any trouble with a 240W brick. The 970M sups less power than a 680M I believe. My question would be how long have you had this PSU? The 240W PSU's are cheap and easily obtainable but in my experience die fast. I had exactly your symptoms after just a year of heavy use. When I changed the PSU the instability and shutdowns ceased.

Word of advice steer clear of this PSU. Instead get Dell's 210W chunky no nonsense PSU. Part number: DA210PE1 or D846D. These are high quality PSU's that can easily withstand 250-260W sustained load unlike the crappy slim 240W ones. I even got a couple running in series via a dual PSU adaptor to deliver up to 420W + :) I never use it these days as I run a 5850 currently and my 920xm is pretty much broken due to my overvolting days years ago.

One day when money isn't always needed elsewhere I hope to spruce her up one last time:940xm, a/c + blutooth card and a 970M. Or if feeling adventurous I might even try to convert her to DP and put an even faster card inside...

PS: another advice. The display of the M15x is proven to be of very high quality. Most if not all users on here with 970M have been able to overclock stable to 120hz on it. A very notable feat and one that will be very good for FFS games!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. bibimona

bibimona Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for all those good advises about PSU. Unfortunately, my m15x has given up on my again two days ago, and this time I really don't know what I can do save her anymore. Here is the story just in case you're interested: After playing games on my "back from death" m15x for a few days, I've also encountered some DX errors during game, so I decided to update the Nvidia driver and reinstall directX one day...the installation went through w/o any issue, but after playing game for 20mins for so, the screen start to flip and hang the game. After the forced reboot, the Nvidia's driver seems to be gone or not working anymore cos i was getting the 800*600 resolution. I was thinking it might be just software issue back then since thats the only I changed I made. But after several failed attempts to re-install different version of the drivers, none of them actually works. Some of them gives me normal resolution and properly read in sys info etc. but just not stable enough and the screen just freeze from time to time, others just not even able to install or reboot after installation but nothing happen. I've also try resit everything a couple of times, but it only get worse...it starting to show signs of broke lines during boot time well before entering the os, and finally just only giving me black screen after I push the power button. Can't see the customized vbios message, can't see the AW Bios options anymore, nothing...It has to be either the 970M dead on me or the new mobo I got has a bad mxm3 connector on it, btw, my old mobo's power jack is definitely burned, so I can't test the 970M on the old mobo to rule out the card being dead.

At this point I really feel she's gone now, if it is indeed the dead GPU. Unless the mobo turn out to be the fault one, or I get the 970M fix somehow...both I doubt are realistic. It doesn't make much sense to get another 970m/980m for $400 in 2018 either...so this might be it, time to move on I guess...

3. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Damn that is a shame. I would say test on the "burnt" board but perhaps as you say there isn't much point. Where are you based. I may be interested in taking the 970M off your hands dead or alive as it were. I can at least give it a last test before putting it to rest.

Btw did you run driver sweeper or DDU before reinstalling the drivers? If you didn't this could corrupt things badly on the software side. That said lines at boot isn't a good sign at all!