No more SLI laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by paulofeg, Jan 7, 2019.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    joluke, ExMM, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    is physx even used anymore?

3. x-pac

x-pac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Agreed. But if someone still wants a dual-GPU setup in a laptop, whether SLI or PhysX, it is available after all. Since some people are worried about dual GPU going extinct, I was just updating the fact.

Personally, I wouldn't shell out for even SLI. I am going with a single RTX 2080 for my purchase.

JRE84 likes this.
  4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's a solution looking for a problem... "Lack of dedicated PhysX gpu" was not ever a real problem, not even in 2005 when somebody last bothered doing it.

Yes two RTX 2080s can be retrofitted into the (no longer in production = extinct) P870 chassis, which was at its heart a gaming notebook.

However, they're not linked with the high bandwidth/low latency SLI/NVLink interface, and while the drivers can be hacked to use the PCIe bus for SLI-like usage (I don't know whether Eurocon enable this) leads to horrible performance and atrocious frame pacing, and is effectively pointless except for some non-game/mining/CUDA workload that uses the GPUs independently.

5. x-pac

x-pac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I spoke to Eurocom, and apparently they have absolutely no intention of supporting SLI/NVLink with RTX series anytime. Regarding hacking the drivers, their official position is that they will NOT cover it under their terms and conditions. Any problem you run into, you are on your own.

Personally, I agree with what you say about this being a rather useless hack anyway.

6. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    SLI RIP.
    My last laptop with sli was the p370sm3 and that one had major problems with many games.

7. Viares Strake

Viares Strake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    SLI is a software issue. It has ceased to get attention in development of even the biggest titles. Likely because it is such a corner market

8. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes it is for physics effects but buying a GPU just for that is stupid. a CPU nowadays can handle it pretty well

9. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is a good breakdown of why SLI is disappearing, and not just in laptops.

Viares Strake and joluke like this.