No more SLI laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by paulofeg, Jan 7, 2019.

1. paulofeg

paulofeg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I didn't see any sli laptops :(
    It makes me sad because i only ever buy sli laptops and only build sli desktops.
    I realize mgpu seems to be the big craze these days but i don't even see a option for a second card.

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Other than in synthetic benchmarks SLI has very minimal performance benefits these days as games don't scale well with SLI. SLI is not as good as it used to be or even beneficial if at all as game developers lack interest for optimizing their games for SLI setups. Give me a single powerful GPU and I'm a happy bunny.

Next...

3. paulofeg

paulofeg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I of course respect your opinion Ultra Male.
    However for my need my amd 7970 crossfire x to 980 ti sli then to 1080 ti sli and finally to 2080 ti sli have always worked for my needs.
    All of the major triple AAA games i play support sli and my favorite mmo does as well. I need sli to get maximum use out of my pg27uq
    My laptop uses 1080 sli and i will be more than a bit disappointed if a next gen laptop with 2080 sli doesn't come out for it
    I like building over the top pc's because its fun and one you turn that pc on and it purrs like a kitten oh man its like a dream....

Awhispersecho likes this.
  4. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see this statement all accross the internet whenever someone mentions SLI. IMO that's not a strong argument. Many games do support SLI and many scale very well with SLI. There are also non gaming applications that benefit from having multiple GPUs.

I prefer to game in 4k with max settings at 60+fps. No single card can do that for the majority of games. SLI is a must.

It almost seems to me that NVIDIA is trying to kill off SLI to prevent people from simply adding another card or two when their performance starts lacking which would instead force them to buy newer cards and upgrade more frequently. First by eliminating SLI beyond 2 cards and then with this seemingly astroturfed campaign toting the irrelevance of SLI.

Or it could be people who can't afford an SLI setup trying to convince themselves SLI is pointless so they can coddle their ego . . .

If the RTX 2080 was 225% more powerful than the GTX 1080, then I would concede that SLI would be less relevent. But someone whose currently using SLI GTX 1080 will have 0 incentive to upgrade to a singular RTX 2080 - they'd be loosing ~35% of their performance.

TheDantee, bennyg, Ashtrix and 3 others like this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    you're talking to a person who has owned many laptops with SLI starting from an Alienware 18 with 770 GTX in SLI, 780 GTX in SLI, 980M in SLI, 1080 GTX in SLI (in my previous Clevo P870DM3), whenever there is SLI, I'm the first one to buy it. I just didn't find it beneficial anymore.

Buy what you please, no one is holding you.

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nvlink is actually bruteforce solving the bandwitdh problem encountered with SLi, whether that would physically fit in a laptop is another story.

7. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With how poor the scaling has been with Sli lately it really wasn't worth it. You would get one game with nearly perfect scaling and then the next game you'd get maybe 20% improvement over a single card. Though there are plenty of games that give you somewhere in the middle. I used to swear by sli myself, but honestly going one powerful GPU and calling it a day has been a very pleasant experience for me.

Also high end Desktop Replacement laptops are using dual psu's as it is. So maybe it's a limit on how much power they can deliver also?

saturnotaku likes this.
  8. paulofeg

paulofeg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They told me on the clevo forums that there is no nvlink for 2080 on laptops so i guess sli is finished for laptops. What a shame. At least they still have it on desktops but I can't begin to describe how sad I am learning its dead on laptop. Life has victories and disappointments i guess.

hmscott likes this.
  9. NB_Neenja

NB_Neenja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    SLI was never really that great in the first place.

10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    every dog has it's day