No more overclocking on Nvidia mobile GPUs

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by octiceps, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightofDight

KnightofDight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am a sucker, I love my iPhone/iPad. But, I wouldn't ever buy a Macbook.

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    It's interesting that no one else has managed to break into the computational chip market - I suppose the barriers to entry (fabs, foundries, business connections with silicon mines, etc.) are too high.

What's the likelihood that Qualcomm/Samsung/Apple enters the x86 and desktop GPU market?

3. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i think the only real competitor that could be a threat to nvidia in the laptop/desktop market is Imagination technologies. The GPU's they make are remarkable for mobile. Look at the ipad air 2's GPU, that thing smoked the tegra K1 and used much less power.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  4. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    Even though I am a huge Nvidia fan (considering the amount of technology they brought to us and always pushing the envelope as much as possible), I am disappointed. I am not a defender of OC'ing on mobile platform either, if you want to OC, get a desktop has always been my mindset. BUT outright removing the OC support on mobile platform only is ridiculous (which kind of shows what awaits us in the future). Why not just state that OC will void warranty? (which is more than reasonable considering mobile chips already gets stressed in most laptops, apart from AW 18 kind of desktop replacement units) Bad decision by Nvidia.

ajc9988 likes this.
  5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    One correction, AMD only had cpu at glofo which is 14nm. Gpu is with tsmc like nvidia which is 16nm, followed by 10nm. As I am unsure as to their set generation (1.2 or 2.0 gcn arch.) I cannot comment on the 1.3 thing. But I agree. Hopefully the report from extreme tech isn't true on them canceling 20nm gpus, but time will tell. I've only seen that statement at one site. .. but if new architecture and they pour almost all of the node shrink into heat dissipation, it may be more than competitive. I'm still wondering about the m295x at 4k performance. But time will tell

6. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Take this piece with a grain of salt, but it appears AMD might be using GloFo's 28nm SHP which is supposed to have 25-35% more performance over TSMC's existing 28nm process.

7. Blossom81

Blossom81 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't understand why my cards aren't performing at the clocks I set in evga precision x when doing fire strike benchmarks. Could the nvidia drivers cause the cards clocks to downgrade?

8. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Well, it may transition it's mid and low level gpus to GloFo and have it's flagship on 20nm. That would alleviate demand for 20nm wafers during a shortage (I'm sure their contract would provide for contingencies to allow AMD not to perform if their was no way to fulfill orders during the time period for performance), and would allow for improvements in mid and lower end gpus due to GloFo's processes. Who knows?
    I had the same issue running valley. Although stable with other checks, when I ran in valley, the driver would crash and reset to stock, or would throttle and not perform. I just found where the driver wouldn't crash, then tested by 10hz changes until I achieved the highest benchmark score, then ran it for an hour to verify heat at the same level and no lower framerate variance. But I was using Nvidia Inspector and prema vbios.

jaybee83 likes this.
  9. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    SRSR333, very high entry barriers indeed. The last ones who tried IIRC - and they tried to enter desktops only - were XGI, actually SiS division with Trident legacy. PowerVR once produced PC VGAs as well, before they quit to mobile.

10. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.