No longer able to use portable Firefox at my local Sam's Club

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by davidt1, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidt1

davidt1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For weeks I have been using portable Firefox on a flashdrive whenever I use the computers at Sam's club....until today. Firefox starts but stays minimized at the taskbar at all times. I can't maximize it.

I guess Sam's Club must have installed some software that prevents the use of Firefox. Other applications on my flashdrive opens and work just fine.

But I have no clue how this works. How does it know to disable just Firefox? Is there a way to bypass this? Can someone explain? Thank you.

2. mattcheau

mattcheau Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i'm curious, why you trying to use firefox on sam's club's shelf displays? or do they have a computer lab/internet cafe of some sort? does this happen on more than one machine?

3. TreeTops Ranch

TreeTops Ranch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm very surprised that you were able to use a flash drive on a Sam's Club computer. They must have a really dumb computer guy working there. How easy it would have been for a hacker to hack into their database and get everyone's visa card numbers is only a wild guess.

4. davidt1

davidt1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They have free wifi there and proudly advertise it. As for a hacker hacking into their database, I doubt that can be easily done. That's like saying people who use free wifi at Starbuck can hack into Starbuck database.

5. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Reputations:
    I would venture a guess that the network that the demo pcs are connected to is probably separate from the network the POS systems are on. Just a guess.

6. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    OP as mattcheau alluded to, does firefox work normally on computers at locations other than Sam's ? Also have you checked the USB drive for malware? You could also try reinstalling FF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.