No issues with the original SB1 now? ie intel solved etc?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by NYCtech, Jan 24, 2018.

1. NYCtech

NYCtech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They sell a lot cheaper than the SB2, clearly no DGPU, which doesnt worry me much as a lot of notebooks have been missing this, also no quad core.

But for the price, especially used ones being less than 1/3 of the SB2.

But I know they had problems with black outs and weird display issues, which were due to intel drivers.

Has all that been resolved?

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah the sleep of death has been fixed to my knowledge.

3. Gofishus

Gofishus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Original SurfaceBook is a steal IMO. With the performance base, it regularly runs about $500-600 cheaper than Surfacebook 2's used. The 965M is pretty similar to a 1050 so really the only thing you are missing is USBC and quad core CPUs. Whether thats worth $500-600 is up to you but its not worth it to me.

4. NYCtech

Reputations:
    Yes I have my eye on a promotional events one, technically not new but not used either. 965m.

Im looking around $1200USD. The SB2 here is $4k for the i7 model.

5. NYCtech

Reputations:
    The 940m dgpu model went for $1k USD, the 965m model is going to be too much, about $1500USD.

You can buy the non dGPU SB1 model for $1k brand new with a yr warranty. I think if you arent after extreme performance surely thats a good buy? I mean the XPS13 doesnt have a GPU and the MBP13 cheekily has called itself a pro for 10 years with a dual core and NO gpu. I actually sold mine and wont go back to MBP13 until it gets a refresh and they put some pro hardware in it professionals can use.

The SB1 at least has a gorgeous sensitive touch screen which is very nice to work with the new 4096ppt wacom pen. So it doesnt have a GPU, it means slower batch file photo processing and premierre pro. But I dont do batch file pics and I dont do video. It still last 15 hours off the battery. It still looks quality.