No drivers seem to work for 6770M on Windows 8

Discussion in 'HP' started by maypoler, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maypoler

maypoler Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have a dv6t-6b00 with a Radeon 6770M. After upgrading to Windows 8 from 7, I spent all day looking for drivers for my graphics card. I completely removed my old Radeon drivers through the device manager and the Treexy Driver Fusion application, and then tried downloading the sp58788 update posted in one of the sticky threads but when I try to start the setup.exe, it asks me for administrator permission and then nothing happens. This is pretty much what happens for every other driver I try, official and unofficial alike. I've also gone into the device manager and tried to have it update the drivers that way, and it seemed to have done something but I no longer have Catalyst Control Center or the option to "Configure Graphics" to switch between Intel 3000 and Radeon 6700M, so I don't know if the graphics card is actually working.
    I've tried jumping on League of Legends after every attempted installation, but it is always at a really low fps, so I concluded that my graphics card wasn't working and decided to ask here. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me. Thanks!

2. playfear94

playfear94 Newbie

Reputations:
  3. Kirrr

Kirrr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    New driver for the 6770m in the sticky topic. (Dec. 6.)

4. BeaverRat

BeaverRat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. Encrypted11

Encrypted11 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Softpaq59850 should work.

6. Barsicks

Barsicks Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same problem.After upgrade to Windows 8 and install drivers(sp59850) i cant use switchable graphicks tool.In right button mouse menu i can see a option for switiching graphicks but after clicking on it nothing happen.

My notebook:dv6-6b60ec

Anyone know about some functional driver?Thanks and sorry for my english:D

7. Encrypted11

Encrypted11 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lifted the post over for referential purposes. :) Have you ensured that you installed the drivers the appropriate way>

Post updated 24 Jan 2013 (For referential purposes)

What you need (This applies to DM4-3XXX with discrete AMD GPUs, DV6-6xxx with AMD Discretes and DV7s with AMD discretes, Intel based processor:
    1. (HP Factory Driver)
      For Windows 7:ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55092.exe.
      For windows 8: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59850.exe
    2. (AMD Reference Driver) Catalyst 13.1 WHQL(January 2013)
      http://www2.ati.com/DriverS/mobile/13-1_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe
    3. Download .Net Framework 4. .Net framework is a required software to run Catalyst Control Center. In Catalyst 12.11 Enduro, AMD upped the requirements for .Net framework to version 4 instead of the previous version 3.5. Get the latest update for .Net framework via Windows update.
    4. If you have softwares/files that require backing up, back them up.

Part 1: To install HP Custom drivers by HP (SP5xxxx):
    1. Firstly run the Catalyst Uninstall Utility to clean up any residual AMD drivers, corrupted or not (Note: this removes all AMD installed softwares). http://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd_cleanup_util_1.2.1.0.exe
    2. If you have installed an Intel HD driver from Intel's website, uninstall it (reason below)
    3. Restart
    4. Run your HP softpaq installer, install everything in the package, restart.

Part 2: To install Reference drivers by AMD (Better stability and performance):
    1. Go to your Control Panel->Uninstall a program
    2. Uninstall AMD Catalyst Install Manager
    3. While at the uninstall menu, select the first uninstall option that lets you select what to uninstall.
    4. Check to uninstall all features EXCEPT AMD Display Driver (Leave the Integrated graphic Intel HD drivers alone) I repeat do not touch it or things will screw up. Restart the laptop.
    5. Run the Catalyst software installer, select Install -> Custom -> Make sure you have a checkbox with a black frame around the component, "AMD Display Driver". If this is not present, hit cancel and repeat this step and make sure "AMD Display Driver" shows up. This is to ensure the installation file has detected your graphics hardware. If it does not show AMD display driver, the installer is not detecting your GPU.
    6. If step 3 succeeds, make sure all components are selected and hit next to finish the installation.
    7. (Only if it fails) Uninstall Catalyst and begin from step 1 again. This may take more than 1 attempt.

Now why you can't touch the Intel HD or update it via Intel's website

It uses a driver modified by HP or AMD for hybrid/switchable graphics support that enables the laptop to run a secondary dedicated graphic card. Installing a Intel HD driver from Intel's website would also mess up how switchable graphics and hyrbid graphics work because Intel HD drivers on Intel's side are only meant for PCs with standalone Intel HD graphics. It has NO switchable support. The only proprietary drivers that will work are supplied by HP's driver support site.

Important Note
    I strongly discourage people from using beta drivers. For the follwing reasons:
    1. Beta drivers have more potential stability issues. If this is your primary computing machine, are you willing to sacrifice stability at the cost of getting crashes and such?
    2. They're not digitally signed and you'll need to do certain things to circumvent this feature called "Driver Signature Enforcement" which makes it mandatory for drivers to have digital signatures. On Win 7 64Bit and upwards to windows 8, this feature is effectively permenant unless you *work it around*

Also, NEVER disable a laptop's Intel HD in any circumstance... Your your display signals are routed through the Intel HD even if you're running the dedicated GPU as the renderer. Disabling an Intel HD causes a black screen that can only be fixed if you re-enabled it via Safe Mode booting.

Other notes: My own issues, Switchable Graphics mode is unable to toggle to Intel HD from the Radeon HD, it causes a BSOD each time I attempt to do that with SP59850 on Windows 8. Its a DM4 though, I haven't heard of issues on DV6/7 just yet. The only way to go back to the Intel HD for me was to use hybrid graphics.

Anyway Windows 8 was already unstable for me since the clean upgrade. For that I've reverted back to Windows 7, no complaints.

8. aak88

aak88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. I have an HP DV6t-6100, and I recently updated the OS to Windowws 8 Pro from Windows 7. I managed to retain most of the drivers, and for the remaining few which were not supported by Windows 8, I downloaded from the web. I used the solution posted above to install the driver for my system's graphics card. My laptop has an ATI Radeon HD 6770m graphics card. Although the driver that I downloaded worked, it conflicted with other parts of the system.

Eventhough I retained my administrator rights, I was refused access to many parts of the system including accessing files of other users on the system, not being able to change my account's password, not being able to manage any other account, nor could I change the time on my system. The biggest glitch that I found was that the 'user' tab in the PC settings disappeared. Any processes that required to be directed to the user settings would not process.

I could not recover the tab so I refreshed the PC to it's primary form and reinstalled the drivers. The first driver that I installed was the graphics card's driver and the same issues occurred. I refreshed my system again, and this time I did not install the graphics card's driver, but all the others, and till now the system is working normally appart from a few problems.

1) I have an extended battery on my system, and it's timing has fallen to a mere 4 hours from 9 hours that it could manage with the proper drivers installed.
    2) The rating of my system has reduced to 4.6 from 5.9 when the graphics card was functioning.

Please let me know what you all think I should do to re-install the driver, minus the bugs that I encountered. Thanks!

9. tjimblack

tjimblack Newbie

Reputations:
    How did you find this BeaverRat? I don't seem to be able to search for specific drivers like this on the hp website

10. EzerchE

EzerchE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.