No charges filed against Tony Stewart..

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tsunade_Hime, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Hell, I know this, and I've *never* raced in my life. Just a fact you have to deal with if you're driving on a dirt road at any decent speed...

Tony probably could have done more to avoid the guy. Like, I don't know, don't whip the car out in the first place (it's stupid to do in NASCAR, it's stupid to do with these cars). But yeah, guys should have stayed in the car unless he was in immediate and obvious danger.

2. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    When you compete against someone... you don't have a head full of loving intentions for the guy...
    but you don't want him dead...

The truth is that in any rough or dangerous competition; if you want people dead, there would be a trail of corpses in your wake.

I very highly doubt that there was any intention to kill anyone... that being said I bet there was plenty of "colorful language" aimed at the guy when he did something every single one of those racers knew was stupid.

The main thought in their head was most likely to not die due to someone else's stupidity.

Classic case of Darwin at work. (may even get a Darwin award for it)

Tony most likely will not get a humanitarian award, but he shouldn't get charged with a crime of any kind.

radji likes this.
  3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
  4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Oh, the wonders of Media.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    It'd be a sad, sad day for the justice system if Stewart isn't convicted for his crime.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I honestly believe that Stewart didn't mean to hit Ward. The throttle blip to me indicated he wanted to steer away from Ward. The fact was Ward saw he was in no immediate danger after a crash (his car wasn't on fire, no billowing smoke, no gasoline smell) so he should have stayed off the track and let the officials sort it out. Instead he angrily runs back onto the track thinking he could flick off the person who hit him and in anger caused his own unfortunate death.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    True, though imo Stewart should have simply stopped his car, or gone elsewhere (maybe to the outer edge of the track?).

At the *very least*, it should be some form of manslaughter. I doubt that it was pre-meditated, so murder would be overkill (pun intended). But definitely some form of manslaughter imo. But we'll just have to see what the jury says.

8. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Jarhead, have you driven a light weight vehicle, without abs, rear wheel drive, short wheel base, and in slick conditions? Its not like hitting the brakes in your new car and turning, oh no. If you hit your brakes in one of those and tried to turn all that you would do is slide in a straight line. On a dark track who knows how far away Tony saw the other driver.

I don't watch racing at all so I have no opinions on Tony's personality and attitude other than what the media reports, but I have spent plenty of time driving vehicles in slick conditions for fun(push them to the limits).

9. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I can't see they convicting Stewart on any of this;

- You know full well what you sign up for when you are a professional racing driver. This line of work has extreme dangers, and you have to accept that death can come at any moment's notice.
    - Ward made no attempt get to safety, after he realized he was in no immediate danger (in fact 2 cars narrowly miss him)
    - Stewart made an attempt to get away from Ward and unfortunately he did not get to

I don't see manslaughter or intent to kill here, what happened was a series of unfortunate and avoidable mishaps. Now if there was recorded audio of Stewart yelling "DIEEEEE" I think they have a case, but I doubt something like that exists so. Stewart has to live the rest of his life knowing he accidentally killed a young kid.

10. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    I am curious... what makes you believe this is a crime?

Even if Tony Stewart really is the incarnation of evil and intended his death from the very beginning...
    Even in a perfect world with a perfect justice system, how are they going to prove it is a crime?

Ward did something staggeringly stupid. He walks into danger and indeed endangers many other drivers' lives besides Stewart by doing what he does.
    This is a race track, not a crosswalk. He does not have the right to walk onto the track and expect everyone else will swerve to miss him.

The prosecution will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Stewart was either intending to kill, or was negligent in doing so.
    Kinda hard when the defense can easily argue that the person killed was doing exactly what he isn't supposed to be doing precisely for the reason that it is endangering everyone else by doing so. The defense can also easily argue that Stewart swerving to miss this guy would have been endangering everyone else and that it was indeed Ward who was being negligent.

For the above reasons... unless you have evidence that has not been presented, I don't see how anyone could convict "beyond a reasonable doubt". Even if you still believe this to be murder, I cannot see how you expect the justice system to prove it.

Frankly, the result probably will put Ward on trial and confirm his Darwin award all the sooner.

You seem passionate about this... maybe you saw something I didn't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.