Next gen Laptop GPU timeline

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by shinryu744, Aug 14, 2018.

1. BruceEdwards

BruceEdwards Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I believe we will see some monstrous gaming laptops with 2080's (e.g. the Titans), but I also believe we may have seen the last of SLI (or equivalent dual-gpu tech) laptops. I can't see how they can bridge the gap in required power draw for a pair of 2080's and a decent CPU.

I hope to be proven wrong!

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I dunno, the estimated TDP on the 2080 is pretty high.. It exceeds the 1080 by a decent margin it seems... we'll see I suppose! :) I'm sure if it can be done we will see it happen.

3. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Of course there will be. The RTX 2080 Max-Q was already leaked.

The days of us getting fully closed full bore desktop cards like Pascal are probably over, but there's no way Nvidia will leave hundreds of millions on the table.

4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Is ray tracing the next big thing?
    I really don’t see it. I can’t see what the big deal is about improved reflections but maybe I’m just unimpressed, but that’s just me.

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's more than that, it's lighting, the whole nine yards. We've been able to fake these things well enough though. It'll take some years before it's commonplace.

6. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hope not. Though that has been my biggest fear since max-Q was first accounced. With Pascal, we finally, finally got desktop GPUs in notebooks. What a joke it'll be if nvidia gives us that for only a single generation.

Wouldn't surprise me though.

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Except it's not the whole nine yards. Current RTX is hybrid raster-RT rendering. It'll be a long, long time before hardware catches up to the point where everything can be ray traced at the resolutions and frame rates gamers demand.

[​IMG]

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm just saying it's not just reflections.. well.. all ray tracing is just light reflecting off of and being manipulated by objects.. Again just reflecting and diffusing. It can increase realism above and beyond the tricks implemented today.. it's just going to take a while to get there without making a lot of sacrifices and optimization decisions..

I applaud nvidia for taking the first step even if it's of limited practicality right now.. the first step is always the hardest.