Next gen Laptop GPU timeline

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by shinryu744, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I let this stew in the back of my brain for a bit and while I was initially going to go along with it as a possibility I think I'd pass on any plans to use the 1080 for PS5 ports the whole way through. What I'd look forward to for my own laptop for 1080p is a 2nd gen RTX ...though not necessarily the flagship. I'd like to pair it with an 8-core CPU [...and would consider a 10 core if one is offered] and 32GB RAM. With SteamOS ...hopefully supported by the manufacturer by then [2020-2021].

Mastermind5200 likes this.
  2. Ratio Tile

Ratio Tile Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, fair enough- but there are two very important qualifying statements to take into consideration here.
    1. "...the whole way through." That's a very big difference from handling PS5 ports for the first year or two after release. "The whole way through" is like till 2026, and I don't think anyone would expect the GTX 1080 to last till 2026, even with lower resolution and decreased graphical settings.
    2. "What I'd look forward to... Is 2nd gen RTX"... Okay, now we're talking about very far down the line as far as notebook graphics cards are concerned. The first gen RTX cards won't even be in notebooks till like early 2019 ish.

As far as SteamOS and 8/10 core CPUs, eh... That'll happen. Not too worried about it.

yrekabakery likes this.
  3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's not as if you bought a 2-year-old flagship mobile GPU expecting it to last the entirety of a console generation that's 2 years away. Otherwise you'd still be using your 5870M right now and into 2020.

On the other hand, mobile GPUs have made huge strides since the 5870M, but the pace of performance advancement is slowing down if the 20 Series is any indication.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  4. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I bought my 980m laptop as I thought it would survive the PS4 gen. Just like with that, I'd be looking to buy what comes out after the console launches to last the PS5 gen ...most likely. Really need console specs to approximate what's needed.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  5. ddomaster

ddomaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A few manufacturers just dropped new laptops. Think that means Turing laptops are coming next year at the earliest?

Asus GX531, Asus, FX505/705, Asus GL704 (only available in Oct)
    MSI P65 (only available in Oct)
    Lenovo Y530
    HP Omen 17T

6. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just my educated guess, there's absolutely nothing to back up my words.

AMD 7nm+:

- Vega launches Q2 2019.

- Zen 2 launches in Q2 2019.

- Zen 3 launches in Q2 2020

NVIDIA 7nm:

- Shown at CES 2019, flagship cards launch late 2019.

Sony PS5:

- Announced at CES 2019, Winter 2019 release date.

If this works out to be true then I'll get my GTX 3060/3070 GPU upgrade by Spring 2020 alongside an Zen 3 CPU upgrade in Summer 2020.

7. BruceEdwards

BruceEdwards Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah - I guess my new worry is that the RTX 2080 may be a short lived stepping stone. I kinda wished I had but the bullet 2 years ago and picked up a 1080 driven device - it would make sitting the 2080 gen out an easier proposition!

Mastermind5200 likes this.
  8. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This article should shed some more light:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-turing-mobility-rtx-2080-mobile-gpu/

After reading this article and dealing with 2 stripped screws on my Razer (They wont support it since they said I was at fault), I am returning that laptop and picking up something cheaper to use until the new laptops come out with better GPU's. Even if its early 2019 you can get a used laptop with a 1060/1070 now for a good price.

Atma likes this.
  9. ddomaster

ddomaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    IMO, I think for any1 who needs a laptop now, just buy it, no point waiting. the 20xx series of cards is likely to be a big dissapointment. Classical performance isn't going to be a big leap,the cards draw more power/will likely run hotter because of the extra cores.

And, even if you value ray tracing highly, performance is gonna be dismal for 20xx series. (they're aiming for 1080 60fps with ray tracing for battlefield 5 on a 2080TI!! the same card runs 4k 60+fps without ray tracing) So I've decided to get a 10 series com on discount and then eventually get a 30xx series com

thegreatsquare likes this.
  10. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't see the point in any mobile GPU's anymore tbh, they're kind of a gimmick to me, you pay 2-3x a desktop for a overall worse experience (discounting the absurd mobility), and a M6100 is all I need for games
    Although, I see why people like desktop gpus in a laptop size form factor, the performance is insane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.