Next gen Laptop GPU timeline

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by shinryu744, Aug 14, 2018.

1. shinryu744

shinryu744 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    With the turing gaming gpu line imminently being released, when do you reckon the laptop line will be released? There was some talk of the 1160 going into the Lenovo Legion machines end of year.

I was looking to get myself the razer blade or gigabyte aero with 1070. But from the looks of it the new line will be a huge improvement.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think the "wait and see" approach is the only non-speculative option you have. All that currently exists are rumors.

Charles

triturbo, ExMM and KY_BULLET like this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    When they're ready.

InOrderToSignIn likes this.
  4. InOrderToSignIn

InOrderToSignIn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm by no means an expert, but it always seems like technology takes quite some time to be implemented in a mobile factor. The primary market is desktops, for sure. And after release, stock (of desktop GPUs) can be quite short for months and I imagine this will be compounded by the fact that we haven't seen new GPUs in ages. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see good Turing laptops well into next year, even if they launch the desktop counterparts in October.

There's always the factor of cooling to consider as well. It always seems like the first generation of laptops in a generation have relatively poor cooling. And that is saying something, when most laptops have poor cooling to begin with. Unless you're going to get a 10 pound behemoth of course.

Anywho the general advice is always:
    If you need something, upgrade now... if you can wait, wait. Speculation never gets us anywhere. Just my 2c.

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm predicting

Nvidia RTX 2080
    3072 CUDA cores @ ~2GHz (~12 TFLOPS)
    8GB 256-bit 14Gbps GDDR6 (448 GB/s)

6. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hopefully they continue with the top mobile xx80 having a 180/200W TDP as with the 980/1080.

7. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To me, "Next gen laptop GPUs" are those that will handle PS5 ports. There aren't any of those coming out this year. From my experience, people who buy flagship gaming laptops late in a console generation are the same people who later complain about how the gaming laptop that cost them a big amount of money and only lasted them 2-3 years.

8. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What concerns me is that we'll see more notebook announcements like the 2018 Macbook Pro or Xps15 with 8950HK. The OEMs satisfy shareholders by delivering products with the latest bells and whistles. Shareholders don't care if the products are half-baked and unable to actually make use of the touted components. They have their sale and their profits.

Customers who understand the relationship between hardware and performance are becoming a smaller fraction of the base. We will find it harder to find pre-built options that justify the costs.

On my Google feed, saw an article about eGPUs. Wouldn't surprise me that the 2080 will run so hot that it will require an external enclosure. Easier cop-out for the OEMs when they don't have to perform extensive re-engineering to make thermals work.

9. Ratio Tile

Ratio Tile Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You don't think the current generation of high-end laptops with 8th-gen Intel processors and GTX 1080s will be able to handle PS5 ports? -even with the ability to scale down graphics settings and/or resolution?

What about if we take 4k off the table since many laptops ship with 1920 x 1080 resolution displays?

10. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm thinking it will be sooner now that their stock took a hit and mining has died off a little.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk