Next Alienware 13/15

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by xxpmrong, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm actually really fond of the current laptop formfactors.
    I'm hoping announcements of the volta GPU's this CES or soon after, followed by quad/hex core i7 notebook CPU's that don't have low TDP.

After aliewnare adding those components to their arsenal, I will very likely get a new Alienware 13 oled, or a low chance for alienware 15 even a slight chance for 17 depending on the specs they will get and their prices.

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    With your wishes... Expect even more heat problems if Dell continues with same formfactor. Cpu with higher TDP will need a more massive cooling. Either must Dell increase the chassis thickness or enlarge the footprint. And more massive cooling mean always heavier weight. Pure physics.

Ashtrix and Vasudev like this.
  3. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agreed, though if you take it apart you can see how a smaller footprint may actually better the thermals.
    Hear me out: the tripod design is faulty and should never gone past the concept phase; the routing of the heat through the heatsink is disproportionate to the route of the fan cooling and counteracts itself in the center whereas it should have a singular input for cold air, over the circuit, and then out via the rear. Doing this could decrease the footprint laterally, allowing for an infinity display and slimmer design. Give it better thermal paste and you have a winner. This is what I hope they do with the next Alienware 15. Doubtful but still. Possible.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Dell's engineers couldn't even make space for a normal sized 3rd M.2 ssd or 4 ram slots i the 17,3 inches chassis. And TRIPOD design is soon everywhere due smaller MB in all laptops with thin design. HS need to be designed as a unified design as it is. And I mean next BGA chips from Intel will need a bigger footprint on PCB (MB). Even less space for the needed missing screw. Put in a more power demanding Cpu in this mess... An you can just gess the final results.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    More power with no way to use it can be worse than less powerful because functionality is impaired. Kind of like having a 1,000 horsepower engine in a jalopy with a clogged up radiator and a blown transmission, it will just sit there and cook itself to death.

Ashtrix, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    But the cooling if mounted correctly with the right paste cools exceptionally well and i don't expect the next gen to run much warmer.

All heat problems where due to quality control.

MogRules, Kalen and Vasudev like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    And QC will be fixed for the refresh? Azor said it was fixed last Christmas. Over a year ago. Still a HELL.
    See...post #31. "followed by quad/hex core i7 notebook CPU's that don't have low TDP". The normal has been 45w TDP for Mobile H processors. We talk about increased power. And we don't talk about quad. I'm sure you have seen power usage in full bench with stock Coffee.

Ashtrix and Vasudev like this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As far as I know the TDP with the new coffee lake CPU's will still be 45watt and the die will be larger. THe biggest problem with the past gens have been the small die size. This is also reflected by the GPU vs CPU temps in the systems these days. A 125~150 watt GPU could be kept at 65~70C in the past 2 ALienware generations but the CPU's always run hotter. This is visible in other systems as well.

So my guess would be that the temps would remain the same but less uneven temps.

For nwo I am holding out for replacing my system. Mine is more than 2 years old now. Hopefully somewhere this year next gen Nvidia GPU's and the coffee lake CPU's. A 6 core CPU would be ideal for my tasks next to gaming (Music production and rendering).

But I am surprised by how well the 980M still performs in 1080P gaming. All current games still can be played with decently high setings and around 60fps or even higher in a lot of the games so I do not feel the urge to hurry up to replace this system.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. xxpmrong

xxpmrong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the inputs guys! really love reading them while we await whats to come next hehe

Throwing this up in the air:
    Given that the next gen CPU has a bigger die size, will that influence a change in the form factor?

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know H Mobile will come as before with 45w TDP. They will as before be used in different sized Notebooks. As small as 14 and up to 18,4". Some extremely thin. No changes there.
    I answered more on what the end result would be If Dell contiued to use same sized chassis + same cooling, but put in a chips with higher TDP (if this was released by Intel - as the Q - don't have low TDP). It's a reason laptop with LGA chips use chassis who is thicker than what Razer use for 7820HK.
    From what I have read... The soldered package will take more space on MB. AMD graphics will replace iGPU, but on same package as extra die.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Ashtrix, xxpmrong and Vasudev like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.