Next Alienware 13/15

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by xxpmrong, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes, they are plagued with lot of issues. If you aren't afraid of mods simply buy it and tweak it. Buy 17" to get bigger fans and it will be 10-15% more cooler than 15". Also, if you're buying get 7820HK instead of HQ locked BGA.

2. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well lets break it down, your Haswell is what 3.7ghz boost? and Kabylake is 3.8ghz and the difference between Haswell and Kaby is *maybe* 10%? So ok sure you're down about an effective 3-400mhz on the CPU. Lets look at the 980, well the 980 is about the same as a 1070 worst case 1060. So in order to see any *real* difference you would have to buy a maxed out machine and only then would you see any real jump in performance. So you'd for sure have to wait for Coffeelake but that'll be Christmas *at best*. By that point Volta would be right around the corner which would offer significantly faster performance than both the 1080 or 980. But by the time Volta launches now we're talking June/July '18

Unless you do significant gaming while on battery power you'd be better off buying an Graphics Amp and a 1080TI than a new machine.

xxpmrong and Vasudev like this.
  3. xxpmrong

xxpmrong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im looking to replace my current AW15 early next year. Hopefully I can wait for all the Coffeelake and Volta you mentioned :)

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's probably for the best, honestly if I were in your position the most I'd to is get a graphics amp and wait for Cannonlake in 2019 but I understand if you're itching for something new at this point. Coffee/Volta will be nice and I'd expect both of them to be ready about this time next year.

xxpmrong likes this.
  5. xxpmrong

Reputations:
    My brother is actually the one who can't wait =) He is itching to get his hands on still very capable AW 15 I promised to hand this down to him this Christmas.

So now I am on an early hunt for a replacement but I am not really in a hurry as I still have an 17-6700k skylake desktop with a GTX 670 to mess around with.
    I'll probably get a desktop 980 Ti card and at 1440p monitor before going for my next AW.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. xxpmrong

Reputations:
    Might not be that far... I now see coffee lake CPUs on ultrabooks :D

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I will give you a tip, buy your brother a coffeelake or Ryzen CPU based laptop and you can keep the AW 15. Tell him, there is uneven core differentials and pch PROCHOT issue.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not the 45W chips:cool:

Ashtrix and Vasudev like this.
  9. xxpmrong

Reputations:
    whats happening why are the current AW prices dropping here in Asia? prices are at around $400usd off

10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I believe its a refresh or flushing out old models. I heard someone got a new 17 r4 with new heatsink design and not tripod anymore.

xxpmrong likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.