Newbie to the M15X world and Lovin' it so far

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Guarddog32, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Guarddog32

Guarddog32 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great I will give that program a try and see how it works. Any info on the M15X coming preinstalled with bluetooth capability?

2. Guarddog32

Guarddog32 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ricoh Memory Stick Controller driver is missing also from my device manager and dell does not have the drivers on their website also the Ricoh card controlller is missing. Any ideas where I can get them?

3. Jmandayman

Jmandayman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Had the same problem, go to device manager, right click the devices and go to properties, details, then click the drop down and select hardware id’s. Find the vendor and device Id. Search for them on the internet, (pcidatabase.com) find the ones that correlate. Search google and find a driver download for them. Download it then update the drivers for the “base system device” through device manager.

4. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  5. Demis n

Demis n Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello forum,

I am also a new owner of a M15X and trying to upgrade it. Changed the cpu to a i7 740qm (planning to go to 920xm) and now I am currently wait my new gpu (GTX 675m) but not so sure if it can run on my M15X. Do you think we can make it? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance..

6. Raidriar

Reputations:
    return 675M immediately if possible, terrible graphics card, dies very quickly for no reason.

Demis n likes this.
  7. Demis n

Demis n Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answer. I got this for free from a friend of mine. It was running on his Alienware M17X. Don't know if it will run on mine though.. Sure i believe it will be much better than the gtx260m i am currently running, right?

8. bartuc66

bartuc66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So what "driver" are you using? Did you just use the Window's device manager to install it, or did you use a certain type of Atheros or Killer Driver?

------------
    Does anyone know of a stand alone modern Bluetooth card that would fit in the old Bluetooth card slot of the M15x. I wish to update mine as Microsoft plans to release an updated Xbox One Elite controller with Bluetooth (similar to its new Xbox One S controllers). I do not wish to install a 2x2 wireless card with Bluetooth as I like using my current wireless cards.

For anyone curious:

How to install the original 2.1 Bluetooth cards of the Alienware M15x on Windows 10.

1). Download the Driver from Dell.
    2.) Extract the Driver into a folder from the zip/rar type of file.
    3. Use Window's Device Manager to install the driver. Use the choose driver from a file option. Point it to the file you created in step 2.

For some reason trying to install the Bluetooth Driver from the zip/rar file no longer works in Windows 10.
    * If the above does not work, try the about steps as the admin.

9. Demis n

Demis n Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello again,

I just installed my GTX 675M on my Alienware. It boots up normally, found new drivers but after 3-4 minutes of normal operation fan starts spinning like crazy and finally my laptop shuts down. I guess that is bwcause of new GPU overheating reasons. I have apllied thermal pads driven by the layout of the picture i have here.

img

Am I forgetting something? (I obviously must be.. ) Note that I use the same heatsink i had which was used for my old gtx260m. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance guys..!!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  10. Raidriar

Reputations:
    Possible your GTX 675M is incompatible with M15x embedded controller, unable to properly module fan speed. Also could be poor heatsink contact, you need to monitor your GPU temps with GPU-Z

Demis n likes this.