Newbie Question-Motherboard Identification

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by SierraFan07, Aug 10, 2021.

1. SierraFan07

SierraFan07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I just purchased an MSI GE76 11-UH and I'd like to find information about how to identify the motherboard components on these new Tiger Lake laptops. I tried researching motherboard component identification but all the info online is from motherboards from like 10 years ago. I know the basics like where the CPU/GPU/RAM/M.2/WiFi and those things are located, I just don't know what all the other components surrounding them are. Thank you.

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    What is it that you are trying to determine? Like the capacitors, vrm's and mosfets?

3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    SierraFan07 likes this.
  4. SierraFan07

Reputations:
    Yes to all lol. I suppose I'd say I am most interested in the parts that are visible and have a direct performance/thermal impact. I think I know what the PCH looks like and I know that can get hot, but I'm not sure what the VRM's and MOSFETS look like and not sure if there are any other components that get messed with when it comes to adding thermal paste/pads/mini-heatsinks etc. I'm also a little confused on overclocking/undervolting capabilities on my i7-11800h. I'm watching some videos that say the H-series boards by Intel are unable to be overclocked, but I know other people are doing it. Is that possible due simply to having access to an unlocked BIOS, such as what I can do with the MSI? Thank you @Reciever for your help.

5. SierraFan07

Reputations:
    Thank you @Tech Junky , I'm pretty good with being able to identify all of those components, it's the smaller integrated components I'm trying to identify. And its funny you mentioned the service manual, I asked MSI support and they said they don't release those to the public, whereas I was always able to get a service manual for my Clevo's so I'd love to get my hands on that if ever possible.

6. SierraFan07

Reputations:
  7. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    All of that is under the heatsink. Pull the screws and you'll see them and their pads.

8. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    It's possible that they don't release them. It's easy enough to reference another one like Clevo to decipher what's what on another brand. They didn't redesign the wheel to make it work. Providing photos of your actual MOBO that are high res can help in identifying things if needed.

9. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Embedding photos...
    I capture what I'm looking for and edit if needed and then upload to: https://imgur.com/upload / right click and copy image address

Come back here and click the photo icon and paste the URL

[​IMG]

SierraFan07 likes this.
  10. SierraFan07

Reputations:
    Ok thank you for image instructions. I just hopped on Tapatalk app and added a photo of my exact motherboard. All those components with thermal paste (besides CPU/GPU) are what I'm trying to identify, as well as any other components you guys think should be covered with some type of thermal protection. I don't see the PCH in this pic so I'm assuming it's not covered by the CPU/GPU heatsink. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk