Newb Building A New Rig. Thoughts? Input?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Etrigin, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Etrigin

Etrigin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Again I cannot thank you guys enough for all your input. I just stumbled across a friend of mine that gets really good discounts.
    How does this compare to the ASUS?

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4995-KR 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC+ w/ACX Backplate Video Card
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-06gp44995kr

and

EVGA Z170 FTW ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-motherboard-140sse177kr

I can get 10-15% off the GTX 980TI and probably 40% on the MOBO

Would both of them be better deals/worth it?

2. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    When it comes to GPUs, I'd just get the cheapest you can, as all the top brands are similar. Only real difference is that ASUS and MSI tend to be quieter and run a bit cooler.

3. Ramzay

Reputations:
    Based on most of the reviews I've seen, the only instance where those mid-range AIOs (such as the Corsair H80) perform significantly better is under extreme circumstances (basically Prime95 + heavy OC). Under all other scenarios, the 212 Evo is only a few degrees warmer, while costing 1/4 as much.

Don't get me wrong, I like watercooling, and those AIOs are pretty neat and look nice. I just can't justify spending over $100 when my $35 212 Evo gets the job done almost as well, while being quieter under most circumstances.

4. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This. I run my 5820k at 4.2ghz with a Corsair H55 (hardly the best AIO) and as stated before I don't see it break 60C even under the most demanding CPU games. I don't think I've ever heard my pump running.

Sorry but the EVO 212 is freaking massive. Once connected the thing blocks everything underneath it.

HTWingNut likes this.
  5. Ramzay

Reputations:
    It is indeed massive. It also costs half as much as the H55 while providing similar/better cooling and noise results. The main advantage of entry-level (and mid-range) AIOs is the size (or lack thereof) around the CPU socket.

I run my i5-6600K at around 4.4GHz, temps are around the 52-55C range under stress tests, while demanding games stay under 50C.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Kaze No Tamashii and HTWingNut like this.
  6. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Top air is comparable to top CLCs true, but aesthetics aside, it also blocks off access to almost half of the mobo, and you have to carefully choose your ram to make sure the heatspreader doesn't touch the heatsink, and you could even run into issues with GPUs if the first PCIe slot is too close to the socket and the tower is too massive. But of course air cooling is also safer because there's no liquid to destroy your system.

Ramzay likes this.
  7. Ramzay

Reputations:
    Yup, pros and cons for each method.

8. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Even trivial things like replacing a power supply may require medic afterwards :p
    I sliced my knuckles pretty well on large Noctua when I changed ps on my previous desktop.

TomJGX likes this.
  9. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I always found Zalman coolers turned my fingers into Swiss cheese. Thank god I never bought one for myself. I think the BIGGEST pain in the rear cooler I've installed was on my old 970 hexacore i7, I bought the Prolimatech Megahalems rev B. I had to slightly bend my X58A-UD5 Gigabyte mobo to get the backplate and cooler to mount properly. Never again.

10. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

TomJGX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.