Newb Building A New Rig. Thoughts? Input?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Etrigin, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Yes but OP also noted video editing. You definitely can get a noticeable improvement in encoding time with hyperthreading. Also mentioned "room for the unknown" and wants it "for a very long time". For that, I'd even recommend an i7-5820k.

If OP lives near a MicroCenter they usually have rock bottom deals on CPU's too. You can get an i7-5820k for $319, i7-6700k for $359, and i5-6600k for $219.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    TBoneSan and Kaze No Tamashii like this.
  2. Etrigin

Etrigin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks again for all the input! So I have a few weeks before pulling the actual trigger so I will look to see if anything goes back on sale! I will be traveling close to a MircroCenter soon So if they have anything in stock I will look there for CPU's. I have narrowed it down to 2 MOB's. Any good/bad for either one? Or neither and go with something else?

MSI Z170 Krait Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

3. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'd go for the Asus it has more Sata slots giving you more expansion options. I use my Express Sata slots just like a Sata and it works fine on my Z97 board. But I would also choose a Good sound card and disable or pick the UEFI bios disable onboard when addon sound card option is installed...

Sound Blaster Z
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102053
    I noticed the game play difference with a dedicated sound card you have better sound effect even coming from a 2.1 setup and headsets you hear more then the usually on-board. But this is me but if you want good sound effects from you game don't skimp out on this part.

4. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Personally I'd go for an i5 if just gaming, but an i7 if video/photo editing are in the works.

That motherboard is way too expensive. Stick to something like a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 or thereabouts.

I personally prefer a good air cooler (such as the Cooler Master 212 Evo) as its actually quieter than an AIO (the pump motor on AIOs can be quite noisy), but a good AIO isn't bad either. The 212 Evo is about $30, and tests have found it to be, at worst, a couple degrees hotter than a massive AIO solution. So even the experts tell you AIO water cooling will provide marginal benefits while costing a lot more. Up to you though.

The ASUS Strix and MSI GPUs are probably the quietest and coolest (in terms of temps), so I'd stick with those. Pick whichever is cheapest, both have equally stellar reviews.

Your RAM is expensive, dunno why. I can get 16GB of DDR4 2400 for $110 CAD. Find a better deal.

You can cut costs on SSDs by sticking to something like a Crucial MX200, which is still a very good drive.

DO NOT cheap out on the case. I did that, and after spending more on a quality case, I regret having ever bought cheap cases. A good case is much easier to work in, has better air flow and since you can keep your case for a decade, I'd really recommend a good one. That Fractal Design is a solid choice.

For case fans, while the Noctua's are very popular, they're also very expensive. A good Fractal Design case fan is almost as good at moving air and almost as silent, while costing half as much.

PSUs are really up to you, though I'm partial to the quality of a SeaSonic. The Corsair RM series are pretty good. Find a site that will calculate your peak power needs, then just add 100w to that number for good measure. I personally have a 550w PSU, with a GTX 980 and an OCd i5-6600k. Works perfectly.

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    AIO's make barely any noise at all, at least the Corsair ones I've seen. I looked for them before I built my rig, and it is so quiet. It's also better than having that huge mass hanging off the motherboard.

Talon likes this.
  6. Ramzay

Reputations:
    I had a Corsair AIO, made more noise than my Evo 212. Not a huge amount, but when idle, I can't hear my Evo, but could definitely hear the motor on the Corsair.

Better in what way?

Of course, once you get into some of those really, really big CPU heatsinks (some of them are truly massive) I can agree that it starts to be a bit ridiculous, and since those cost as much as a decent AIO water-cooler, I'd probably get the AIO.

My Evo 212 cost $30 CAD, while the Corsair I previously had cost twice as much, and that was on sale. They both cool just as well.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I can't hear a thing on my Corsair H110i, I had to touch it to make sure it was running. Fans drown out any other noise and even that's not that bad. I have my Corsair settings at standard. If I put it on performance then fan speeds ramp up rather loudly, but pump is and should be more or less silent compared to rest of system. Considering I run my i7-5820k at under 45C at load at 4GHz there is no issue unless I wanted to crank it up to 5GHz. But I tuned my system for best noise/performance.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  8. Falco152

Falco152 Notebook Demon

Reputations:
    I have both the H110 and the H60. Both are pretty quiet though their pumps get louder after 12 months.
    It's not too bad. Sure Fan is quieter than AIO but it ain't that much perceptional wise.

Sadly, it becomes the next "most annoying thing louder than jet engine" once you start forget how quiet it really is.

9. Ramzay

Reputations:
    I'm assuming that as you increase in price, those AIO get better in terms of not just performance, but construction quality and noise levels.

I had the Corsair H60, and while its radiator fan was silent, the CPU pump fan wasn't. In a noisy system it may not have been noticeable, but given I'm using a silent setup (no HDDs, quiet PSU, all 140mm fans < 20dBa), that small pump would definitely have been noticeable. I could always hear the whirring.

I'd probably get better results using the H110i, but then the price point is 3-4 times as much as my $30 CAD Evo 212.

I guess my point is that unless you're into heavy overclocking (or your case is too small), there is no logical/rational reason to spend more than $30 on a CPU cooler. The $100 price difference would yield better results if spent on upgrading the GPU/RAM.

A quick link: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/H90/6.html

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  10. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Yeah, once you increase the price of liquid coolers, their price/performance ratio is pretty much the same as air coolers.
    But when cheaper liquid coolers are considered, €30 212 has better price/performance ratio than €50 liquid cooler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.