Newb Building A New Rig. Thoughts? Input?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Etrigin, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Etrigin

Etrigin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So finally in a position to finally enjoy and spend some money on a quality rig. Will mostly be use for gaming (ultra or very high settings), some light work, possible video editing and room for the unknown. Was originally looking to spend 1500 but current build has it at 2k. Not a huge deal but looking for some input/critiques please. Ideally would like to have this for a very long time and will look to upgrade and maybe add SLI later down the road? Appreciate the help!

Also looking for suggestions for a Dual Monitor Set up?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KqJKvK

CPU [​IMG]
    Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

$269.99 $3.99 $273.98 Newegg
    Combo discount automatically applied. (View details.)
    CPU Cooler [​IMG]
    CRYORIG R1 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler

$79.99 FREE $79.99 Newegg Buy
    Motherboard [​IMG]
    Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming GT ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

$299.99 FREE $299.99 Newegg Buy Combo
    Combo discount automatically applied. (View details.)
    Memory [​IMG]
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

$108.99 FREE $108.99 B&H Buy
    Add Additional Memory
    Storage [​IMG]
    Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

$274.98 $274.98 OutletPC Buy
    [​IMG]
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

$49.98 $49.98 OutletPC Buy
    Add Additional Storage
    Video Card [​IMG]
    MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card

$649.99 FREE $649.99 B&H Buy
    Add Another Video Card For 2-Way SLI
    Case [​IMG]
    Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

$78.99 $78.99 NCIX US Buy
    Power Supply [​IMG]
    EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

$139.99 -$60.00 FREE $79.99 Newegg Buy
    + USD $20 off w/ promo code EMCKNAN22, ends 12/3
    $40.00 mail-in rebate
    Optical Drive Choose An Optical Drive
    Operating System [​IMG]
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)

$99.88 -$10.00 $89.88 OutletPC Buy

2. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Win...=&goog_pla=1&gclid=CPjX-JrcwskCFQkxaQodKV0NUg I used this for a recent brothers build.
    Savings $37.00

Lose the pro SSD not worth at all. Also that drive is slower.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-I...id=1449249881&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+850+500

Free Assasins Creed Syndicate and savings of $126.99

Great power supply and memory, have both of those.

I have the Asus 980 Ti Strix, love it and it runs cool. The MSI should also be a great choice. However, after a recent RMA experience with EVGA with my G2 PSU, I would honestly look into getting the EVGA card. I couldn't believe they sent me a replacement PSU and let me use mine while it was shipped to me. Also a prepaid label to send the old PSU back. EVGA made me a believer. Companies with that level of service need to be supported. I've heard Gigabyte is also great in these regards. Either way it should be a good card.

I personally would get myself a cheaper motherboard. That is hugely over priced and you won't notice its benefits. Look at something around the $150-$200 range at most.

Why not get a All In One liquid cooler for that price? IMO AIO is the way to go these days over those huge/bulky air cooler heatsinks. I find its easier to mount and work in the case with a liquid cooler.

killkenny1 likes this.
  3. Etrigin

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info! Do you have a motherboard recommendation? And I was trying to stay away from liquid coolers; have seen a few and heard of a few other horror stories with them...

On a personal note who do you fly for?

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Liquid cooling has its merits, but imo it's more of a PITA than anything else. With air-cooling, the most complicated thing you have to worry about is which thermal paste you wish to use, and it's fairly hard to screw up. Whereas if you screw up with liquid cooling, the worst thing that could happen is you flood out your computer.

--------

Do agree with the motherboard comment. $300 is way too much to spend on a motherboard imo, especially when you can get great overclocker motherboards for a lot less.

5. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I bought my motherboard for 145e with 2x4GB Crucial ram bundled with it. Granted, it was a year ago, z97 and ddr3 but finding a similar bundle offer would be nice.

I have now Gigabyte MB and GPU, would have gone EVGA but the price difference was a bit too much. And there was that retailers bundled discount thing with ram :) I have had a great rma experience with evga, so I would recommend it also.

Running Corsair H100i AIO cooler, I'm really happy with it. Much easier to install than a huge Noctua I had before, more room inside to fiddle with stuff afterwards and during actual use not much difference when compared to air cooling. At least mine hasn't broken yet :)

6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I find my Corsair H55 with a Noctua fan to be a beast cooler. I have my 5820k @ 4.2ghz and 1.14v under gaming load less than 60C. Generally mid to high 50s on CPU heavy games. I found it to be a breeze to install and highly doubt it will spring a leak any time soon. That said I do tend to check it every month or so when dusting out the rig. I just look for hose cracks as the H55 doesn't tend to have the best quality hosing IMO. I just installed a EVO 212 on a family member machine and I found that to be a lot more confusing as far as installation was concerned. I guess I just dislike the overall bulkiness of those huge air coolers. As KLF said, I doubt there is much if any difference in their ability to cool a chip properly.

7. spelingchampeon

spelingchampeon Newbie

Reputations:
    No one has mentioned monitors yet, so I'll just tell you what works for me. I have a LG 25UM64-S (2560 x 1080) paired with a Asus VS247H-P (1920 x 1080). Since they aren't the same size, and by different Mfg's, I have them suspended by dual monitor stands from Monoprice - Part #6421. The reason I am using 2 different sizes, is that some older games look odd on the LG monitor, while the new games look great.

I do have a 43" 4K TV, but it is too large for me to sit anywhere near it.. feels like I'm sitting in another zip code.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Go with an i7 and an all-in-one liquid cooler, like a Corsair. Simple to install and best and quietest cooling ever, especially if you're spending $80 on an air cooler, you can get a Corsair H100i for about $100.

TBoneSan likes this.
  9. Etrigin

Reputations:
    Thanks for everyone's Input! I really appreciate it!

So

Is an i7 worth the extra costs?

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Personally, since the main use is for gaming, I don't see much of a point to going for an i7. The i5 is already quad-core and the K versions will let you bump up the performance as needed/wanted.

Unless you find some fantastic sale, I wouldn't bother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.