New Z model with Intel Core i5 CPU

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by exetlaios, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TofuTurkey

TofuTurkey Married a Champagne Mango

Reputations:
    I'm thinking: if the SSD and its interface is proprietary, it cannot be that Sony is venturing into this only for one product, it is not economical. It could be that the Z is being used as the guinea pig. If it works well, it goes into other Vaios.

And why couple a good (if it is good) SSD with Sony products? If it is that good, then having a standard interface means Sony can penetrate the wider market. If it is that bad, why stick it to the flagship laptop? So, I think the interface is not proprietary.

2. pwaggs

pwaggs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ...feels himself being drawn into the Z by the invisible Sony amalgamation of style and power...

I am not sure why people find it so insane to think that Sony would have a proprietary SSD set up. I would say that it is almost a certainty that it will be proprietary. Sony, is still shipping this with a MagicGate. Sony is notorious for its utilization of proprietary formats and hardware. A third of the time, maybe, they knock it out of the park and they make a bundle on it (CD etc), the other two thirds of the time they fail and we will have incredibly useful and well engineered and not cross compatible pieces of hardware (The examples are too numerous to list as I start with MagicGate)

On another note I am getting dangerously close to pulling the trigger an purchasing my own Z. Oh how I wish that it came USB 3 compatible,

3. Geeee

Geeee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was going to ask the same.

Hmmm? That might have been my post with all the available lids offered. Those were actually Silver lids. Silver and Silver Metal. "White" IMO would have been way cool. I would have preferred that over the Black Premium Carbon.

4. emev

emev Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh nooo, I was hoping that this thread will reach 4000 posts :p

Congrats! We're waiting for your impressions!

5. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Real wood would be nice.

(Bamboo veneer like Asus has had on some of its models doesn't count -- bamboo isn't a tree, and veneer isn't wood)

Actually, anything except silver painted plastic, which invariably will wear off.

6. Geeee

Geeee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL! So does that mean your onboard for a white carbon lid with black base.

7. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    Some people have their notebooks now, some have shipped and others will get their notebooks any day soon.
    It is time to put a padlock on this thread and for prospective owners and owners and continue this discussion in the owners lounge.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=457519

I've moved the last few pages over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.