New Z model with Intel Core i5 CPU

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by exetlaios, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IzzyB68

IzzyB68 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think from what everyone is saying and the pictures we have seen, the SSD models will not be able to be switched out. But the HDD versions still may be able to. Also, others are talking about buying the SSD version and switching out their optical drive for a SSD or HDD and that may be possible too.

2. SPEEDwithJJ

SPEEDwithJJ NBR Super Idiot

Reputations:
    I just visited my local Sony Style store (Galleria Dallas). Sadly, the new VAIO Z notebook is not on display. :( They do have 1 old VAIO Z notebook (VGN-Z880G/B) on display though. :D

3. Negaiido

Negaiido Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We just have to wait I guess. A replacement option will convince me completely on buying the HDD version. We have to make a list of who ordered the new Vaio Z. So we can ask that person for his/her impression :)

4. SPEEDwithJJ

SPEEDwithJJ NBR Super Idiot

Reputations:
    Do you have any links where there are photos showing the new VAIO Z notebook in white?

5. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    It was posted here in this thread many pages back that there was a white model. Various pictures was posted as well all of the different colours that were available. I cannot find that post now.
    I've been looking though and even with the translator it is not that easy to make it out. It sure looks white but i'm sure now if it actually is silver.
    http://translate.google.co.uk/trans....sonystyle.com.cn/products/vaio/z11.htm&hl=en

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...d=0CBEQ7gEwAA&prev=/search?q=sony+japan&hl=en

6. zendar

zendar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    pretty sure it's silver not white...which is a shame :(

7. ehosey2

ehosey2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perhaps a white carbon fiber Z Signature Series available as a future option ?

8. maratus

maratus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Those pics showing quad SSD setup are a bit dissapointing for me. But single 1.8" SSD still may fit when mounted with slight tilt using sticky tape.
    And lower length means more space for LIF-MSata adapter as well.

Will it be worth it? In case of 160/320Gb X18-M I'd say definitely yes. Will it be possible? I hope so.

9. digitaldr

digitaldr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    it was definitely possible to upgrade the hdd on the old z series.

10. nutman

nutman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Old and new are worlds apart in terms of internals.
    What I am concerned about is since Sony had these SSDs custom made, nothing stops them from having a custom made ribbon cable to connect the custom SSDs to the custom mainboard. In which case we are screwed...
    Again, time will tell and of course I am determined to find out first hand.
    I have a few LIF and ZIF Sata and Pata SSDs laying around as well as a multitude of cables so I will try every possible permutation.
    What I am thinking is that these are SATA SSDs so somehow the standard SATA communication signals and power need to be transfered via ribbon.
    And having tonnes of ribbon cables allows me to cut up and try out.
    Worse case scenario, it will take a while.
    At 3.3 or even 5V it is virtually impossible to fry the laptop.
    What I was happy to diagnose with the old Z was that it wouldn't even power up when I used the RAID (2 SSD) connector in place of the optical drive as a safety mechanism against idiot tinkerers like myself :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.