New Z model with Intel Core i5 CPU

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by exetlaios, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digitaldr

digitaldr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well I'm finally getting around to writing my first post. Very enjoyable thread and great to see some hard facts finally emerging.

Anyway just got a cheque today from the insurance company - I spilt a bowl of soup all over my old Z series! Their repairers had replaced the keyboard (after a 3+ week wait for parts) but it wouldn't turn on when they shipped it back to me. When they rechecked it they discovered the motherboard was gone and deemed it uneconomical to repair. So all in all I've been without my beloved Z for about 2 months - am writing this on my wife's Dell Mini 10v netbook (the only good thing about it is that I've set it up to dual boot XP/Snow Leopard - was hoping to learn how to develop iPhone apps but don't have the time at the moment).

Hard drive capacity is very important to me so I'll be going for the 500gig regular HDD without the optical drive - according to SonyStyle UK there isn't room for both. If money was no object I'd love the 512gig SSD. Anyway I guess I'll be able to swap out the HDD for a SSD when they become more affordable - probably after the warranty has expired!

I'll need to use an optical drive occasionally so I was thinking of getting an external Blu Ray burner on ebay probably something like this - anyone used one?

The new z series isn't available CTO here in Ireland so will be ordering from the UK so will probably go for the full HD screen (it's only an extra £50). Anyone know if Photoshop scales up well? With my old z series I used Firefox together with the "No Squint". This allows you to set a default zoom level (separate ones for text and graphics) and also remembers custom zoom levels for different websites.

Does the basic black model has a gunmetal grey colour keyboard surround like the old z or is it more of a silvery colour?

Can't wait for the full teardown.

2. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A delayed delivery, when compared to a pre-built one ? ;)

3. troublesome

troublesome Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fchinese.engadget.com%2F2010%2F03%2F04%2Fvaio-z-explained-by-project-leader%2F&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&swap=1

Sony VAIO Z with Quad SSD stripped down and explained by its project leader
    "For the average geek like us, there's nothing more satisfying than watching a gadget skillfully torn apart by its creator. That's why we're slightly envious of Engadget Chinese, who saw Sony VAIO Z Series project leader, Takamitsu Kasai, explaining the differences between the old and new VAIO Z literally part by part. Hightlights include Sony's proprietary Quad SSD (so not user-upgradable, sadly), a redesigned heatsink to accommodate the new chips' higher TDP (thermal design power), and various features of the "one-piece milled aluminum" and "hybrid carbon" chassis. Of course, all we really care about are photos of the naked VAIO Z, so go ahead and gorge yourselves after the jump."

Interesting... hopefully noone posted this before!! Cant wait!!!

4. Qwaarjet

Qwaarjet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol quadruple fail, but it's ok, i missed it too!

5. sanfranguy06

sanfranguy06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone else who has pre-ordered CTO know the sequence of status messages? Mine currently shows "Shipping Update" and when I called customer service, the rep had no idea what that meant?? I'm going to give them another call and see if another rep has an answer, but I figured I'd ask here too. Thanks.

6. frankpaul1

frankpaul1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FAIL (or a joke hopefully), 6 posts above you, and multiple times a couple of pages back.

7. Treofred

Treofred Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Means nothing my friend... mine went from 'Backordered' to 'Shipping update' almost a month ago. Supposedly, it will ship on 2/9/10 :)

See my post with a screen grab http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=5853741#post5853741 which is from 2/8/10, post 1608 in this thread :p

8. Negaiido

Negaiido Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So what I've read in the last few pages is that the SSD/HDD can't be replaced by the user for an other SSD/HDD. I sure hope this can be solved in a way.

9. TofuTurkey

TofuTurkey Married a Champagne Mango

Reputations:
    I'm hoping that the HDD is replaceable, does Sony have a history of using proprietary interfaces for these? From the pictures of the Sony SSD, it looks like the interface is not mSATA. So it's probably harder to fit something in there...

10. IzzyB68

IzzyB68 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I called my local SonyStyle store (Orlando, FL, USA) and they said they will not have them on display until closer to the end of the month :( So it looks like US stores are going to be WAY behind other countries. Odd since we were one of the first countries to be able to pre-order them online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.