New Year Resolutions 2015!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Thierry19, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    2013:
    2014:
    This past year was much better than previous years. The biggest achievement is the fact that I *FINALLY* succeeded in getting a job!! It's a really crappy job that doesn't use by CS degree, and I don't make enough $$ to move out to my own place yet, but hey, it's a start. I'm still on the lookout for a better career that actually utilizes my CS degree.

The second achievement is that I've been losing quite a bit of weight over the years (I've lost nearly 40 lbs since my peak in the summer of 2011), but I still need to keep my weight loss going.

What really ended up helping me out this past year was Oscar--the dog that my mom brought home in February of 2014. Oscar gave me a huge reason to get off my rear and be a more responsible person--not just because of the obvious requirements of caring for a dog, but also because it was the first time I truly had a pet in the same household (not counting the dog my mom had for 2 weeks when I was 5 years old). For the first time, I can understand the deep emotional bonds that people have with their dogs. And because I'm an only child, it almost feels like I also have a little brother for the first time :) :) I still tend to mindlessly surf the internet, but not like the way I was last year because if I want Oscar to sleep in my bed, I have to be ready for bed by ~10:00PM (Oscar falls asleep between 9:30PM and 10:30 PM)

I still don't have a GF, and I still have plenty of things I could get rid of, though.

So, without further ado, here's my new year's resolutions for 2015:
    1. Get a Good job, one that uses my CS degree.
    2. Practice better financial management
    3. Spend less time on internet
    4. Get rid of junk
    5. Get a girlfriend and make more friends

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Thierry19

Thierry19 Coffee enthusiast

Reputations:
    What did you buy lately? I have a bunch of money burning a whole in my pocket. I am tempted to get a 4K monitor but it either TN or stupidly expensive.

@Teraforce
    Did you get an internship during your degree? If you didn't, having side projects is a big plus when trying to get a job in CS. Participate in some fun project online!

3. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd like to get another IT certification this year as well as get rid of some of my excess computers. I've got more computers than I know what to do with!

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    It will just set me up to eat my portions properly and avoid snacking or at least excessive snacking and/or making better choices. It's not all about the weight, but about the routine and habits. I've gained about 5-10 lbs a year over the last 7 or 8 years, it does creep up on you. I figure losing 50 in a year is a fair trade. :) I'm a bit over 6ft tall and 230 lbs, just need to get back to my comfortable 170-180lbs.

5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    So long as your not obese, then don't worry about it. :thumbsup:

I'm 5'8" and up to 178 lbs. Last time I saw the quack he said he wants my BMI to hover around 26-27, which is considered overweight for my height. He considers it better for me to a bit overweight than being very under like I was some years back (BMI less than 17).

6. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It not about weight so much as its about ratios. About 18 % is average. But 12-13 is even better. I got down to 10%, which is considered athletic and I did it all on diet alone.
    Your quack appellation is almost correct. MDs know virtually nothing about good nutrition. Next time, see a dietitian. Ah yes, the ubiquitous get in shape resolution. I was never fat but did get a gut after a long hiatus from working out. I always said that if that happened I would just stop eating...almost. Which is exactly what I did. I lost the gut and reverted to my 14 year old waist measurement. Now I'm downright skinny

At this point, I'd like to put on weight myself. Albeit, all muscle of course. :)

Outside of personal health, I'd like to learn all these applications (32) I have on my desktop. Already purchased a years subscription to Lynda.com Wish me luck.

Good luck with your 2015 resolution goals to everyone. I'll be watching.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    HTWingNut 2014:

[​IMG]

HTWingNut 2016:

[​IMG]

But more realistically:

HTWingNut 2016

[​IMG]

radji and ajkula66 like this.
  8. radji

Reputations:
    We won't be going into the no-no reasons I have to keep this weight on. But rest assured, my quack is well qualified to make such an assertion for me.

If we lived in closer proximity I'd say we can go to the same gym together. That way we're not alone when we fail miserably! :D

HTWingNut likes this.
  9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I *want* to go to the gym. I just can't. No way. I have nobody to watch my kids unless I pay them, but I drop kids off at 7:30am, off to work, and don't pick them up until 5:00-5:30 or after most days and feel awful leaving them in school/latchkey 10 hours a day as it is and they are in Kindgerarten and first grade. Then it's homework, dinner, cleanup, try to spend a little time with kids, then off to bed, lather, rinse, repeat. I get up at 4:30am every day now as it is, and to bed at 11pm or later. Sigh.

10. radji

Reputations:
    Bring em to the gym too!

Start them on the weight lifting machine. It's not too early. They need to start building up them muscles if now if they want any hope of playing linebacker for the Packers one day. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.