1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

New XPS M1530 overheating - fan problem

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tinkerguy, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phaaam

phaaam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah there is, you can use SpeedFan 4.34 I think, just google it. Then to control the fans, just increase the % values, you might even hear the change in fanspeeds as you're cranking it up.

2. gleasonll

gleasonll Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same problem. 2 days ago I received a notice that a new version of the bios was available (A09). I installed it and have not had a problem since. I do have a Dell wireless card.

3. _WAR>WOW

_WAR>WOW Newbie

Reputations:
    I also Have an XPS M1530. I have had sleep mode turned off since i got it and have the overheating problem. same symptoms as the rest of you blistering hot to touch no fan operation after power up as of tonight i upgraded from BIOS "A08" to "A09" and so far i have no problem with overheating and the fan seems to be operateing somewhat on a more "normal" Basis. But to fill you in on my past Experiance... as i said i have sleepmode turned off and i always shut down when im not using my PC. but mine was getting very hot while surfing the web and playing my MMO's as well and would not cool off untill i rebooted and then the fan would kick on for a short time bloing out very hot air. But with "A09" so far so good ... i will post in a few days again and update yall on my PC's Status in this situation.

4. tinkerguy

tinkerguy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow! You just describe exactly what happened to me too - it so eerie those are precisely the same things - hibernate, fail to shut down, restart - followed by a non-functioning CPU fan so the notebook gets blistering hot.

And yes - I have a Dell Wireless card too.

Lately I have it switched off the Dell wireless card and I have non seen a single instance of this problem since. I'm glad you posted here and vindicated my theory that this is not just a faulty fan - but a problem with some weird interaction between a device ( in this case the Dell wireless card ) and the ACPI services.

The Dell Wireless card sucks too. It was not able to connect to a Buffalo Wireless G router and its range is pretty pathetic. I'm thinking seriously of picking a cheap Intel card on fleabay and swapping it out.

Thanks for shedding some light on this one!!!

5. metalheadkicks

metalheadkicks Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried using SpeedFan 4.34 but it doesnt support the FAN feature of XPS1530

6. brokenman

brokenman Newbie

Reputations:
    i have had dell come out to my house and repair my motherboard for a faulty fan, the diagnostic test shut down my computer.-
    then my hard drive died on me a few months later and i got the part to replace it.
    -
    now im getting the same fan problems with overheating. dell must of gave me a messed up m1530 , like screw me take it. check this out, none of those games run smooth, really bad fps 14-30 fps on a bad a drop.
    [​IMG]

7. Zaraphrax

Zaraphrax Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had a similar problem about a month ago. Call Dell and have them come out again to fix the issue. They changed my motherboard, heatsink-fan assembly and my wireless card (who knows why? But eh), and it's now much cooler. My temps were similar to yours, now my CPU hits 75*C at full load and the GPU hits about the same.

8. P-Dog

P-Dog Newbie

Reputations:
    Ditto to all the complaints above. I received my M1530 from Dell December 2008. It overheated in January-- yes, blisteringly hot with CPU approx. 110 degrees. Dell replaced the motherboard, heatsink, and fan. I reinstalled Vista and things were good as long as I didn't leave my laptop on for more than 3 hours. In March '09, I left my laptop running and the same thing happened-- crazy hot, which damaged the hard drive. I called Dell support and they replaced the processor, heatsink, and hard drive.

July 3, 2003, it has overheated again and another hard drive bites the dust. Just got off the phone with Dell support and am jumping through all their diagnostic hoops (so far, error 0142 on the hard drive). I am going to press for a new laptop. This has been the worst laptop I have ever owned. It's been nothing but trouble. For perspective, I've supported thousands of laptops and servers over the course of my career and this is the worst quality story of all-- even over Compaq in the late 90's!

9. tumnasgt

tumnasgt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hate to post in an old thread, but it seems like the right place.

My M1530 has started randomly deciding not to use the fan at obscene temps, Dell have replace the mobo and HS/fan twice, CPU once. Still does it, most of the time it requires multiple sleep and hibernate sessions before the problem appears, but sometimes it'll start 30min after a cold boot.

I have the Intel 4965AGN WiFi card, so it's not related to that. Anyone know a fix that works, or should I be pressing Dell for a replacement system, because I can tell this is going to end up with lots of pointless repairs unless there is a proper fix, and I really can't afford to lose use of my laptop for much longer.

10. AlexSochi

AlexSochi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Just call technical support, tell them exactly what happened and request a motherboard and fan and heatsink replacement... Just to be on the safe side, even tho ur fan is failing its very likely due to motherboard... so make sure they replace your mobo and fan! As for sending ur product for repair, u dont have to! Thats one great thing about DELL, they will send a technician with parts from dell to replace your parts at your own home, and thats it... you can enjoy your system without having to send it out for a month of repairs.

So call them fast before you burn your CPU chip

11. katar83

katar83 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys, just to let You know that the problem is caused by the Dell wifi card. Remove it and the fan will work as normal. Obviously You wont have wifi and to solve that You need Realtek 8137se (or a USB/PCMCIA card). Fan works perfectly fine with it. I've tried two other wifi cards(one intel and one broadcom) and fan did not work but it works fine with Realtek card.

12. null_x86

null_x86 Newbie

Reputations:
    excuse me for bumping an old thread...

katar83, exactly where do you get that information from? Please, do post a link, because I was under the impression that the GPU overheating was caused by a faulty GPU die. But no, the GPU overheats because of the wifi card. That makes so much sense.

13. seeker_moc

seeker_moc Spes mea in Deo est

Reputations:
    Katar hasn't made a single post since February, I doubt he'll read your question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.