New Wi-Fi card for X230

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by maiki, Jun 27, 2017.

1. maiki

maiki Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have a Lenovo THinkpad X230 notebook (not tablett). The built-in wi-fi card stopped working. I see directions online for how to change it, and I see replacement cards available on Ebay and Amazon.

The original wireless card was Intel N6205. Do I have to replace it with that same card. Or can I upgrade to a newer model wi-fi card? (For instance, on the Intel site, I see that there newest laptop wi-fi card is
    AC 8265.)

Input would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. namaiki

namaiki Sydney, Australia Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This should help you: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/52jhk3/best_x230_wifi_upgrade/d7lbrbg/
    Other wireless cards will probably require you to bypass a whitelist of approved wireless cards in the BIOS.

Also take note of the kind of slot the wireless card connects to internally.

3. maiki

maiki Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you for the info. So are there different kinds of slots for wireless cards on laptops? I wonder why they made that whitelist in the BIOS? (which prevents one from upgrading to a newer card, that was not available when the laptop was designed)

Is the best of those three cards the N-6300? What difference might I notice with the N-6205 that came installed on the computer? Wider range, perhaps?