NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure that's not what I'm talking about. Try reading what I wrote again. I'm talking about stock and availability. I've never had an issue getting an iPhone or a MacBook soon after it came out. But if I try to get a motherboard or a CPU or a graphics card or a gaming console they disappear from online stores almost instantly. My comparison was purely on the basis of availability. So buying stuff for my home-built gaming PC is a lot more difficult than buying Apple products.

2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This sounds like BS. The only major PC component shortage I can remember is the current RTX 3000 series phantom release in the midst of a gigantic pandemic, so all bets are off anyway.

3. Ichinenjuu

Reputations:
    The Ryzen 5000 processors don’t seem to be available anywhere right now. And what happened to the Xbox Series X?

Maybe the pandemic is part of it. It just seems like it was easier to get this stuff in the past.

4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Think about the social distancing measures - surely they have an impact on throughput.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Ichinenjuu

Reputations:
    Speaking of Apple, the release of Big Sur has been disastrous for many. Glad I didn’t try and download it right away yesterday. I’ve never had the problems other people have when they download an update on the first day but this time I may wait another week for them to sort things out.

6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    There were also GPU shortages and price hikes during the bitcoining days. Remember even reading something like a 747 full of GPUs flying to China.
    Good luck getting a GPU during that time.

If it wasn't for pandemic I'm pretty sure a lot of people would queue up for the release on iPhone 12 like the good sheep they are :D

Personally, I prefer to buy electronics once a bit of time has passed, say half a year. Prices get settled in and if there were some bugs products usually get revised and restocked in that time.

Ichinenjuu likes this.
  7. Ichinenjuu

Reputations:
    Ugh, yeah, Bitcoining. :mad: Glad that has calmed down.

And you’re right, it’s probably better to wait until these things have been out for a while. It’s hard to resist my desire to get them right when they’re released, but I can put it off. :)

killkenny1 likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Professor Carnista

Reputations:
  9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    radji and etern4l like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Professor Carnista

Reputations:
    I have T-Mobile's last 4G flip phone in a drawer somewhere. Might be time to switch back to it.

Papusan and killkenny1 like this.