NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  2. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been bothered by pain in my knee lately. Although in my early 30s, the doc says it's apparently the early stages of arthritis. Here's to aging! o_O

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  3. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Back on the same campus I attended for undergrad. Everyone has a MacBook and walks around with AirPods in. There are also 22% more students compared to when I started in 2013. It's a crowded mess and they changed how the printers work.

Edit: I'm starting to sound like @radji

Convel and Fishon like this.
  4. Prototime

Reputations:
    I've been teaching the past couple of years and have likewise noticed the shift to practically everyone having a MacBook. Very unlike my undergrad/grad days when hardly anyone had them. It grates on my nerves.

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    And why not? The 'entitled ones' have convinced their parents it's the superior tool that 'everyone has' for their success, and parents are all to willing to succumb to this nonsense.

6. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Hey, if you need a MacBook, no problem. But I'll bet my $300 Dell Latitude can do everything those MacBooks can do except run OS X.

Fishon likes this.
  7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    The Apple brand has become a fashionable luxury brand. Apple is really, really good with inspirational marketing to millennials and it shows in this survey. Number one and two reasons students prefer a Mac is they like the brand and like the style. Sure, ease of use and reliability is something of a factor. But so is price and performance and those choices are nowhere to be found. Again, it's mommy's and daddy's money for these still emotionally insecure young adults still needing to follow cultural trends.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...cs-over-pcs-according-to-jamf-survey.2182410/

KING19 and bennyg like this.
  8. Prototime

Reputations:
    It's really the tail end of Millenials and Gen-Z that are Mac-obsessed. Back when I was in undergrad 10-13 years ago, it was weird to have one. Even 6-8 years ago in grad school, more people had them but they weren't ubiquitous on campus. Those recent survey results don't surprise me though. Apple stepped up its youth marketing over the past decade and sucked people into its ecosystem through iPhones.

KING19 and Fishon like this.
  9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The buyer of a tool who cares about feels is the tool.

My other half has mentioned buying fruit a couple of times, it never goes beyond my response "go ahead, but do so knowing its outside your current free 24/7 immediate on site tech support deal"

10. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Excuse you...?

killkenny1 and Fishon like this.