NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Dr. Ford came across as extremely credible and genuine in every way. Mitchell did a poor job in any attempt to poke holes into her constancy of story. When I heard they pushed her into the room, locked the door and turned up the music, there is, in my mind, no chance of an exaggeration of what a no might have meant. Unless she's lying about the whole thing it leaves no room for the 'boys will be boy's defense. Couple this with a two other women coming forward (be them weak or weaker accusers), his buddy Judge who is hiding and his gf stating he admitted when he and other boys took turns having sex with a drunken woman when he was in high school. The comments from his roommate about him drinking excessively and turning into a jerk. This isn't a criminal trial. This is an interview for a lifelong extremely important job. If you were in charge of hiring someone and heard these sorts of alleged allegations, would you hire them?

2. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I honestly haven't seen any of it so I really can't speak to the hearing itself. I will say that in listening to what many people have said on the issue from each side of the aisle, I've ended up asking myself once again how such a large group of people so easily fit into the "yes he did it" "no he didn't" camps. Confirmation bias is a real thing (almost as real as lib's inherent penchant for seeing the world the way they want it to be :vbbiggrin:). Well, first of all, I think it's important to remember that we're not talking about the judgment of an individual such as myself. This is a highly politicized process, far more than it should ever be. To speak directly to your point though, I'm guessing that half the people are going to believe her and the other half are going to believe she's been lying from the start. Really, the only thing that matters is the vote. I'm certain that each and every Dem senator came in knowing who they were going to believe. The question is whether this thing has become such a political football that the GOP senators feel the same. Given the way Congress has made a complete partisan mockery of itself over the past decade, I would honestly be surprised if they didn't just push their candidate through based on politics alone. Yes, I believe we have come to that. Does this mean that I believe her or not? Not at all. Truth be told (and as usual), I'm more concerned with the process. To base the appointment on the 11th hour accusations of a random who "raised their hand"? :nah: Imagine the precedent here, cause what you're looking at in the future is incredibly ugly and destructive. In such a highly politicized and contentious climate, there's no reasonable way to extend a random that sort of credibility and deny the same from the nominee/candidate. I'm all for the truth, but I feel it impossible to get to it this way. I'd be all in however, if the accuser went on to file a criminal complaint, with the justice's continued presence on the bench subject to anything which might come out of that process (the appropriate one).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Nick likes this.
  3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    In my lifetime and for people my age, it's the investigation of a real estate deal turning into a lie about a bj that carved out the precedent of ugly and destructive. I honestly believe this was the starting point for all of this. Off the heels of Merrick Garland, a POTUS degrading every politician and every institution , Mitch and his ways (cancelling fall recess)...just playing ball.

4. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    I recall the bj, the deal not so much. From that time until Obama, the political climate remained quite civil. We've discussed the why's and the how's before but sufficed to say, the escalation post Harry Reid-gone-nuclear is unprecedented, IMO. In light of all I've seen and know of history, continuing to "play ball" according to these "rules" forges a path to totalitarianism due to the erosion of influence of the people, and minority voice in Congress.

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Past and Present: The Starr Report and Clinton Impeachment
    The report was overly aggressive and proved a disaster for the GOP, but its effects linger.

6. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    Consider, at the time, Congress was functioning in a mode where the adherence to principle over partisanship informed an environment in which impeachment was even possible. Today, it would never happen due to said partisanship, regardless the transgression.

This is the kind of damage I'm talking about. This sort of thing is a vicious cycle.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1045362723637399554https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1045362723637399554

7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what you attempting to say here. Are you implying the adherence to principle was in place at this time because a couple of Dems from Texas and Mississippi voted in the House for impeachment? The Republicans controlled at the time. Fell short in the Senate and the Republicans got punished severely in the elections following, since the public felt the whole thing was so partisan to begin with.

Yeah, Lindsey Graham is a peach.

And we spoke about Harry Reid in the past and we both agree on him.

8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
  9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  10. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    I'm less concerned with blame at this point, as things are so far gone.

I'll refrain from fueling the partisan nightmare.

Fishon likes this.