NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, I wondered actually, that's why I picked that video that included foreign airlines (as opposed to US only) info and actually shows they've got a much higher pay rate for their pilots.

If there really is a shortage worldwide, and you are knowledgeable about the airline industry and simulation flying, you might be able to talk yourself into a free ride for all your training at some airline that needs people - you'd likely need to sign a contract to work for so long otherwise pay them back for the training.

Airline sponsorship for training might even pay your living expenses...as employment. :cool:

https://www.google.com/search?q=FLIGHT+TRAINING+SPONSORSHIP+FOR+CADET+PILOTS

I went several pages in to that search and found lots of active programs worldwide...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Smart parents (so what happened to you?o_O:D). I mean, I'm sure you'd score some hot chicks, but not the right (marrying) kind. And I know they know the debt to entry, hours, and pay suck until you get to the upper tier way way down the road.

So you prefer to live by your own means. Admirable, but under certain situations, not too bright. Telling me you're going to save up until you have enough money to buy a house with cash? In the area of education, if going into debt leads to higher income and increased prosperity in the future, wouldn't it be foolish not to? Myself, I could have easily paid my last two vehicles with cash. Instead, since they gave me a 1.25% auto loan, I put 25% down and accepted payments. I'm averaging something around 8% in the stock market, so this sort of debt is a sound investment decision. I also know of a couple who bought everything with cash, and a time came when there was an emergency purchase that was needed, and they just could not get a loan since they did not establish credit in the past.

3. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Absolutely. Tying up $50k+ in each of two vehicles would be incredibly poor financial management if you can finance several points below your typical return on investment. I do think that there can be a bit of difference with housing where you're often talking about 30 year periods as opposed to 5-7 year periods with a huge difference in buyout. Also, it's usually fairly easy to access equity with the home mortgage if desired.

Fishon likes this.
  4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    It's not about the chicks, man.
    Junior pilots earn pretty decently here, it's not like US. It's quite common that you go from zero to hero with nil jet hours and get hired. A lot of companies will hire you, give you a type rating (obviously with some obligations) and then your off.

Nah, for a new place of living I would most definitely take a loan. Or a car. Or an ATPL for that matter, though it's a bit risky, so that's why I hesitate (plus additional doubtful circumstances). Just for everything else I wouldn't take it. I see a lot of people buying crap with credit, like TVs and stuff, and I just don't understand that.
    Also in my neck of the woods as long as you have a steady job and earn a certain amount of money, you can get a loan without a problem. In a way no credit history is often welcome, as it is considered that you know how to handle your income. In the US, however, most people live in debt, so you look at it differently.

Gabrielgvs and Fishon like this.
  5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Good point, but I'm not most people. :vbthumbsup:

killkenny1 likes this.
  6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I know, you are one of the rare kinds, like a unicorn.
    :D

7. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    Fairly common in SoCal, actually. :vbbiggrin:

[​IMG]

radji, killkenny1 and Fishon like this.
  8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:

[​IMG]

I'm special, but not in that special sort of way. :confused:

One of the decisions that I keep debating in my mind is whether or not to pay off this house. Been making close to double the payment for awhile now, and have around 150k left on a house worth something under 500k. 3.125 interest rate on a 30, so yes, below a reasonable market return, but debt free on the house you live in is good too. Also have an investment property that's free and clear giving us good income. But we will be moving and selling this house, and are looking at homes in the 800k range. So on one hand knowing our mortgage payment will be higher than we have now kind of sucks (higher interest rates currently- maybe a 300k loan), however, the investment property will more than pay for our mortgage as well. Or do we take some money out of the stock market and cash to go mortgage free? Always somewhat tough decisions as this is not just financial decisions, but life ones as well.

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Damn truck broke down today. Paid some idiot local mechanic to replace the fuel filter for me and he damaged the O-ring upon re-insertion. Bye Bye lift pump. Probably going to cost me over $1000 to remedy his mistake.

10. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    RIP Stan Lee.

Never read a single comic in my life, but this guy's cultural relevance is legendary.

Fishon and hmscott like this.