NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Looks like OT has been hijacked.

2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Have to stay in the hospital for a few days. :vbmad:
    It was hijacked the moment it was started.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

You're kidding, right? While the economy (especially tech) in your state is very decent, it's nowhere near the powerhouse that is SV.

Silly? Yes, certainly some are, but far too often the idea of regulations gets a bad rap. As your state grows as well, so will the regulations needed for an orderly society and for others do not infringe on your rights and safety. For example our gas additives- we like to breath cleaner air. Water rationing/ toilet regs- we'd like to have water unlike what happened in Cape Town. Plastic bag and soon to be drinking straw regulations- we care about the environment. Having the label that coffee is cancerous is a stupid one, but it appears it will not get implemented. If you can name a silly regulation we do here in Cali, let me know. Granted, many are for the few that abuse, but have you forgotten how so many people are greedy, wasteful, selfish pigs that these regs need to be made in the first place?

They quantify what's considered a drought and I read we are no longer in one.

Bummer. Get well soon my friend.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Personally, I’d trade CA’s huge economy for NC’s good economy, factoring in all the other pros/cons for both states. Plenty of job opportunities nearby should I decide to leave my current employer, plenty of things to do locally and elsewhere in the state, and travel is cheap enough for me to visit other places should I get bored here.

That said, our environment here is pretty decent too, such as both Carolinas having better air quality than CA (mostly due to smaller populations and fewer factories / ports to deal with, I’d imagine). Plenty of water here since, ya know, there’s no desert here :) (really, the only dumb development we have wrt environment would be the coastal areas that might be flooded in the next 100 years; we’re certainly no CA or New Orleans).

The policies and abuse of regulations are one thing for sure (and I forgot to mention taxes as well...). Personally though, maybe a bigger issue would be the cultural differences. Obviously neither state is uniform here (CA has the inland and north, NC has Asheville and some of the urban areas), but personally I’m not a big fan of the culture out there. Maybe it’s partly due to exposure and just being used to it, but I’d rather deal with the silliness here than the silliness there. For example, the (failed) bathroom bill vs something like the acceptance of UC Berekley’s behavioral issues.

There’s also the extreme self-segregation of SV from the rest of the community and their failure to consider anything from people outside their group, something I’m not a huge fan of. Then there’s the rampant homelessness problem and their interaction with the urban communities they inhabit. Would rather not have my car set on fire by a burning tent nor have my property values screwed up by an encampment.

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    I admire you for this comment and concern. Spoken like a true liberal. :D It really is a shame when you can't have police, firemen, and teachers (for example), who serve a community to even afford to live there. That's why many cities here require investments in to low income housing when a developer wants to build new homes. I lived in South Orange County and there was a lot of nimbyism and snootiness there. The younger crowd was quick to say they lived in South OC instead of just saying OC. A real nice planned community region, but also far too Ken and Barbie for my liking as well. Living in a world where you never have to speak to the other, lower income level, except when they maintain your yard, clean your house, or cook your food. It's the nature of the beast however. The older neighborhoods are where people leave to go to a better one, then the lower income resettle there.

[​IMG]

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Nevermind any sort of politics about it (That wasn’t originally my angle anyway), but living/working in such a community sounds very... boring. And at worst is can (and does) hinder the ability to make decent consumer-facing products (facial recognition software and court sentencing software come to mind). On top of that, groupthink is an awful thing to have to deal with and it’s quite funny/sad when such people fall right on their face about it (Google’s memo ordeal and current diversity numbers are an amazing example of this imo, regardless of what you think of the memo itself).

Havin grown up both “rich” and “poor”, living both in rural and urban areas, and having to interact with a myriad of different sorts of people, and living in a simple but realistic world, the blindness of having a homogenous, grossly-idealistic community would kill me.

7. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    While I'm still very committed to California, the cost of living and the traffic in the Bay Area (especially Silicon Valley) is getting so ridiculous that I'm starting to feel a bit of animosity toward the region that I never felt before (as someone who grew up in the Silicon Valley but has no intention of going into the venture capital/tech industry). Although I'm not too interested in leaving the state, I am certainly not opposed to leaving the Bay Area.

8. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Thank you, friend. My 2 days has expanded to 4. Hopefully I will get to go home tomorrow.

You can always move to our area, where traffic and cost of living are marginally better...and I do mean marginally.:vbbiggrin:

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    My right shoulder is bothering me. I just got a steroid injection to it. Hardly 21, and I've already got skeletal issues.

10. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hayfever.